This past Saturday my little man, aka Bruiser (NO, that’s not really his name but YES it’s his nickname) turned 3 years old! That’s him with his piercing blue eyes, sweet smile & chubby cheeks. Ah, he just melts my heart! I know, I know just can’t help it! I Lurve him & I think he’s just fab (as are his big brother, aka Middle Man, & his big sister, Ms. Priss… who in case they’re looking at this post, will naturally be making their blog debuts shortly. Patience my pretties. Mwah!)
We celebrated with a small family party. We grilled hotdogs & celebrated with this totally delicious FAUX Hamburger Cake & Faux Fries! It was a ton of fun & everyone loved them. Especially Bruiser! I even had cute red checkered baskets for the table scape & a little mini grill for the condiment holders. Too cute! I put the faux fries in a bowl lined with parchment paper.
I have seen Hamburger Cupcakes and Cakes over the internet before and I’m sure you have too & I just couldn’t resist trying it out for myself. Other versions had fondant rolled all around the layers. Much too complicated for a novice baker like myself. The individual hamburger cupcakes were precious too but I imagine they had to take forevah! So I dreamed up my own version.
This will take a little while, and YES, don’t throw anything at me, I totally took the shortcut route & went with the box cake mixes. If you’re feeling spry go ahead and make them from scratch. I have NEVER worked with Fondant before so I obviously took the pre-made box route on that as well. I found a great little box of pre-tinted fondant. Score! If you’re feeling jiggy and want to make a yellow slice of fondant for Cheese. Go ahead! I had planned on it but well, we all know what happens to the best laid plans.
You’ll want to watch the cake after you’ve assembled it, if it’s too hot or humid your hamburger might SLIDE so be careful. How do I know this you ask? WELL mine did slide right off, luckily I was able to put it back together again b4 the guests arrived. Whew…
Happy Birthday Bruiser! Mommy <3’s you! Mwah!
Hamburger Cake, Fries Cake
What you’ll need:
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 box of poundcake mix
1 box of fudge brownie mix
1 large container of whipped vanilla icing
red food coloring
Eggs – Enough to make cakes/brownies with (check box directions)
Vegetable Oil – Enough to make cakes/brownies with (check box directions)
What to do:
1. Bake your yellow cake mix in 2 10″ round cake pans according to box directions. These will be your faux Hamburger buns. Cool completely.
2. Bake your brownie mix – according to package directions for cake like brownies in a 10″ round cake pan. This will be your faux Hamburger Patty. Cool completely.
3. Bake your Poundcake according to box directions. This will be for your faux fries. Cool completely.
4. To assemble: First tint your icing with enough red food coloring so that it looks like faux ketchup. Stir well & set aside. Place one of the yellow cake layers onto your cake stand or serving plate. Spread your red icing on top. Place your Brownie layer on top of that. Spread more faux ketchup on top of brownie layer. Roll out your green Fondant for the faux lettuce. It should be large enough to drape over the edges of the brownie layer. Carefully transfer green fondant & place on top of brownie layer. Roll out your red fondant and with a large round cookie cutter (or large glass) cut out 3-4 faux tomatoes. Arrange them on top of faux lettuce so that they drape over edges peeking out from faux buns. Add a final layer of faux ketchup on top of the fondants. Carefully place the remaining yellow cake layer on top. Garnish with sesame seeds.
5. For the faux fries. Preheat oven to 350. Cut your cooled pound cake into 1/2″ slices and then again into 1/2″ slices so they resemble steak fries. Arrange cut faux fries onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.