It’s that time of year when you’re baking A LOT. And MANY recipes call for Vanilla Extract. I’m pretty particular about my Vanilla Extract. I like the Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract (PLEASE PLEASE don’t evah use imitation, it’s so pshew ~ well just please don’t use it) and well it’s not cheap. Depending on where you get it, it can run $10/for a 4 ounce bottles. I know right! So when I found out how EASY it was to make my own, I thought I’d give it a go!
You’re seriously NOT going to believe how simple it is to make your own Vanilla Extract! Ready? You need whole vanilla beans & Vodka! THAT’S IT! I’m sayin…. Well you’ll also need some jars to put it in, but hey.
Now, since it ONLY has two ingredients you need to buy THE BEST quality you can find. It will make a difference. I ordered my Madagascar Vanilla beans online & was quite pleased with their quality. Nice and plump & supple. You don’t want hard dried up beans people. Secondly the Vodka. Don’t skimp here either. Buy a nice grade extra smooth Vodka, kay? I bought the cute little 4ounce Mason Jars to put them in & I think they’re perfect.
So perfect in fact, that I’m giving these away as Christmas gifts this year! Just adding a cute little ribbo, label and voila! Merry Christmas! Okay, I know, they’re going to have to wait 8 weeks to use them but hey, it’s still a great gift! (maybe next year I’ll start sooner LOL ) Imagine how fabulous they’re going to look 8 weeks from now! Ah, I can just smell oooh I mean see it! Schweet!
Baci e’ Buon Natale!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
- Vanilla Beans – 3 per jar
- good quality Vodka
- small jars w/tight fitting lids- I used 4oz Mason Jars
- For each 4 ounce jar of vanilla extract you would like to make: slice three vanilla beans down the center careful not to cut through them so that they will release their seeds.
- Place all 3 vanilla beans into each jar. Pour vodka over beans until beans are completely covered.
- Place lids on tightly. Store jars in a dark, cool place. Give the jars a good shake once a week. Vanilla extract will be ready to use in approximately 8 weeks.
If you want the link for the vanilla beans you can find them here.