Jamie Oliver’s Cheat’s Sponge Cake w/Summer Berries & Cream
Are you drooling? Isn’t she beauty-full? *swoon* If I told you this took all of about 15 to make would you believe me? I might not have either if I didn’t make it myself. This is a recipe from Jamie Oliver’s “Jamie’s Food Revolution” cookbook. I received a review copy this week and I haven’t been able to put it down. I am in LURVE! Okay so I’ve been following Jamie since his “Naked Chef” days & no it’s no ne-kid like you think ; ) I think he’s brilliant and this book is no exception.
Jamie is on a MISSION. He has started a FOOD REVOLUTION & I am proud to say that I am a part of it. He refers to us as members of the Food Revolution Army (although I’m going to secretly call it the Food Revolution Air Force bc well you know I’m a GO BLUE girl ; ) *saluting*
This book is a call to action! Jamie declares it’s time for a revolution and the revolution will start in the kitchen. This book (his 9th btw) was written to teach new and not so new cooks a repertoire of dishes they can feel comfortable about cooking for not only themselves but for their family and friends. Jamie says “I believe if you learn to cook 10 recipes you can change your life.” So true! Oh so true. This cookbook will teach you to “rediscover how to cook simple, delicious affordable meals” REALLY! The book is gawgeous. There are easy instructions and step by step photos (almost like Jamie is your sous chef ; ) Wouldn’t that be awesome! Jamie if you’re ever in NC you let me know 😉
I had THE hardest time choosing what to make first (and I say first because I KNOW I’m going to be pulling out this book often) and I settled on this one…Cheat’s Sponge Cake with Summer Berries and Cream *drool*
Although Cheat is such a harsh word, I kinda like SHORTCUT a little bettah LOL. Either way it’s DELICIOUS. Plus when I saw it was made with Panettone I was all over it. You just whipped up a little homemade whip cream with of course vanilla extract, added in a little sweet dessert wine, some fresh berries and toasted almonds and we can’t forget about the shaved dark chocolate on top. *swoon* Are you going to get your fork now?
If you’re not familiar with Jamie’s Food Revolution you can read more about it on his website. I hope the information will shock you and move you to participate. This cookbook after all is part of a much bigger picture. It’s a step in the right direction and you can help too! You can start by signing Jamie’s Food PETITION. It’s painless and takes 30 seconds! Jamie is on a mission to get ONE MILLION signatures (virtual as they may be) to present to the President. We’re only 1/4 of the way there. Every signature helps!
What’s next you ask? Because I know you’re over the moon excited *woo hoo*…Well go ahead & start that Food Revolution rolling in your own home! Cook something, make it fun and enjoy it with those you love! You might even start off with this incredible little tasty number…
Cheat’s Sponge Cake with Summer Berries and Cream
from “Jamie’s Food Revolution” by Jamie Oliver. Re-printed with permission.
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Vin Santo or sweet dessert wine
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 vanilla bean OR 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 1 medium or large Panettone
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 4 ounce bar of good quality dark chocolate
- To prepare cake:
- Pour 1/3 cup of Vin Santo or sweet dessert wine into a wineglass. Pour cream into a mixing bowl and add sugar. If using the vanilla bean, halve it lengthways and drag the blade of your knife along the inside of the bean to scrape all the vanilla seeds out. Add the seeds or the vanilla extract to the bowl, and whisk until the cream is thick and forms peaks. Slice the strawberries, removing any stalks.
- To make cake:
- Peel any paper off your Panettone and carefully cut it across into 3 round slices, each about 3/4 inch thick. Put a slice on a serving plate and spoon a few tablespoons of the Vin Santo or sweet dessert wine over it (there's no need to soak the panettone: you just need enough to flavor it). Spoon a good dollop of the cream on to the panettone slice and smooth it out to the edges, using a metal spatula or similar. Lay over half sliced strawberries and top with a second slice of panettone. Repeat the wine, cream and berry steps until you get to the top layer. Pat this down gently, spoon over the remaining wine, and top it off with the rest of the cream, smoothing it over the top and sides of the cake so it's completely covered - don't worry about getting it all perfect, as it c an look messy and still taste delicious! Squeeze a handful of your toasted nuts to crumble them up, then gently pat them against the side of the cake until all the sides are covered.
- To serve cake:
- Pile raspberries on top of the cake and sprinkle with some chocolate shavings (simply use a vegetable peeler or a knife and drag it across the bar of the chocolate)
Edited to ADD: Contest has ended. Thank you for your entries. Winner announced HERE:
And now for the GIVEAWAY...
Because I KNOW you would like to WIN A COPY of this incredible book. Of course you would so here’s what to do:
1. Leave me a comment telling me what your favorite meal is to make for your family (or if you’re new to cooking the meal that you would MOST like to learn to make for your family). Then I’m going to give you BONUS entries too. Yes, I do lurve you.
2. BONUS ENTRY sign Jamie’s Food PETITION, come back and leave me a separate comment telling me you’ve done so!
3. BONUS ENTRY RT this post and leave a separate comment telling me you’ve done so! You must have @bellalimento in your RT in order for me to see it. In fact, you might just want to copy this and paste it in twitter:
RT @bellalimento Win a copy of @Jamie_Oliver cookbook. Join the #foodrevolution http://bit.ly/cpZPdD
Yes, that’s THREE chances to win! Contest will be open until Saturday 12:00 pm EST and is limited (SORRY) to US addresses only. Winner will be chosen by lucky eight ball ehem Random.Org.
Good Luck & Happy Cooking!