Today I am tickled to be sharing a recipe straight out of the pages of my friend SUSAN‘s brand spankin’ new cookbook. If you’re a fan of frozen desserts then you MUST pick up a copy of her book “The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts” cookbook.. It’s filled with 300 (that’s almost enough for a new one every day of the year) cold concoctions including this doozy of a gelato pictured above – Chianti Gelato.
Wine in gelato? You knew I’d be all over that one. As with all gelato recipes this one is creamy (hello heavy whipping cream) and dreamy (Cheers – Chianti). If you’re tired of traditional give this recipe a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Now for the GIVEAWAY portion! To get you started on your frozen journey one lucky bell’alimento reader is going to win a SIGNED (ehem I don’t even have a signed copy) of Susan’s new COOKBOOK and wait there’s more we’re giving away a KITCHENAID Ice Cream Maker Attachment to go with. All you’ll need to do is add ingredients (and a stand mixer sorry that’s not included ; )
EDITED TO ADD: Contest has ended. Thank you for your entries. Winner is: GENNY and has been notified via email.
1. Leave a comment telling us what ice cream you would make first if you won this cookbook & gorgeous KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment
Optional Entries: (You must leave a separate comment for EACH additional entry to count)
2. Follow bell’alimento on TWITTER
3. RT the following “I just enterered to win a @KitchenAidUSA Ice Cream Attachment from @bellalimento You can enter here: http://wp.me/ppVJB-2Z7
4. Follow KitchenAid on TWITTER
5. Follow bell’alimento on PINTEREST and PIN one of the photos from this post.
6. Like bell’alimento on FACEBOOK.
7. Like KitchenAid on FACEBOOK.
8. Like DoughMesstic on FACEBOOK.
Legal Schmegal: Contest is open to US addresses (sorry to our international friends). Contest is open through Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 midnight EST. One winner will be drawn by random number generator. Winner has 48 hours to confirm or an alternate winner will be drawn.
Disclaimer: I was provided a review copy of “The Everything Ice Cream, Gelato, and Frozen Desserts” Cookbook. Adams Media is supplying one lucky bell’alimento reader with a signed author copy as well. KitchenAid is providing one lucky reader with the KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment. Affiliate links are located within this post. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
Recipe printed with permission from Susan Whetzel
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Chianti
- In a small saucepan combine: milk, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover and let steep for 1 hour.
- Reheat milk mixture over medium low heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper yolks by adding half of the mixture into eggs whisking constantly. Return egg mixture to saucepan, heat until thickened.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cream into a large mixing bowl over ice bath. Strain custard into cream. Add remaining 1/2 cup cream. Stir to combine.
- Stir Chianti into gelato mixture. Refrigerate 8 hours to overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions for freezing.