Boozy Chocolate Pudding
I just got back from a fantastic trip to Prince Edward Island where I consumed my weight in seafood. I ate an embarrassing amount of lobster, mussels, blue fin tuna (holy wow), scallops, oysters and anything else they put in front of me. What did I want when I got home? Chocolate. Deep dark decadent chocolate with a splash or two of Amaretto thrown in for good measure. Would you like to join me? I “might” have one left and I probably shouldn’t eat 5 of these otherwise I’ll be permanently wearing elastic pants and that’s just not attractive. At all. Sigh.
This chocolate pudding or budino as it’s called in Italian (and as always budino sounds infinitely more delectable than pudding) is spoon licking good. You can make this with any chocolate you like but I was craving dark chocolate. Scharffen Berger Nibby Dark Chocolate to be specific. I love the texture the extra nibs throughout give the otherwise silky smooth pudding. You’ll need 1 1/2 bars. Leaving 1/2 bar to nibble on later. You’re welcome.
If you wanted to go crazy you could add a dollop of fresh whipped cream spiked with even more Amaretto (di Saronno please). I’ve sprinkled these with a smidge of Fleur de Sel. I’m pretty sure though the only thing you’ll absolutely need is a spoon.
- .25 ounces gelatin
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- Into a small ramekin add water. Sprinkle gelatin on top. set aside.
- Into a 2 quart sauce pan add: milk, cream 1/4 cup sugar. Whisk to combine. Heat over medium heat until hot. Set aside.
- Into a mixing bowl add: 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks. Using a whisk attachment mix on medium-high speed until color is light and creamy. Approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Carefully temper egg mixture into milk mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Return to heat and simmer. Add chocolate and continue cooking until chocolate is melted. Whisking as necessary.
- Remove from heat. Add: vanilla, Amaretto, gelatin. Whisk to combine. Continue heating until mixture thickens (coats the back of a wooden spoon)
- Pour 1 cup of pudding mixture into containers of choice. Refrigerate minimum of 2 hours or until desired firmness.