Frozen Berry Shortcake
It doesn’t get much sweeter than a newborn baby. The smell of their heads (oh how I wish that could be bottled), the cute as a button coo’s and those baby feet. I melt. Every. Single. Time. Our sweet friend Jen Schall from My Kitchen Addiction is expecting her first child, a daughter, very soon. Since we can’t all be present to throw Jen an actual baby shower a few of us are joining together to throw her a virtual baby shower to celebrate! Surprise Jen!
What’s perfect for a baby shower? Cake! Any chance I can throw pink into the mix I’m going to (bet on it). If I could have made this sparkle I would have. Alas no edible glitter dust in the house. Sigh. This beauty starts with angel food cake (frozen berry angel food cake just didn’t have the same ring to it) that undergoes a slight pink makeover. It’s light, luscious and isn’t overly sweet. Since Angel Food is naturally fat free it’s practically healthy right?
After it’s baked it’s slathered with homemade strawberry preserves and a layer of frozen strawberry yogurt. We could have stopped there but why when you can finish it with whipped cream and berries!
Want to see what everyone else is bringing to the party?
Bluebonnets & Brownies | Raspberry Lemon Fruit Dip
Sugarcrafter | Sweet Potato Cake with Honey Buttercream
My Baking Addiction | Mini Pumpkin Pies
Simple Bites | English Eccles Cakes
Stetted | Roasted Red Pepper and Caramelized Onion Dip
Food for my Family | Homemade Pear Italian Sodas with Cardamom Cream
eat. live. travel. write. | Goat Cheese and Tomato Tartlettes
Gimme Some Oven | Creamy Caramel Apple Dippers
Dessert For Two | Caramel Apple Cookie Cups
Bake at 350 | Soft Sugar Cookies for a Baby Shower
A Thought For Food | Fingerling Potato Salad
TidyMom | Apple Pomegranate Spritzers
i am baker | Advice to a New Mommy
Healthy Green Kitchen | Guacamole with Pistachios
Tracey’s Culinary Adventures | Caramelized Onion, Gruyere and Bacon Spread
What Megan’s Making | Apple Spice Muffins
Cookin’ Canuck | Gorgonzola Cheese Cups with Pear & Hazelnut Salad
Shugary Sweets | Caramel Apple Truffles
GoodLife Eats | Coconut Lemon Banana Bread
- 16 ounces Angel Food Cake Mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- red food coloring
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberry yogurt
- whipped cream - optional
- fresh strawberries - optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat cake mix and water on medium speed for approximately 1 minute. Add food coloring (to desired hue) and mix until combined.
- Pour cake mix into 10 x 4 tube pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes OR until top is dark golden brown has cracks and does not feel sticky.
- Turn pan upside down onto cooling rack until cake is completely cool. Run knife around edges to remove from pan.
- To assemble: Cut cake in half horizontally so you have 2 layers. Spread preserves onto bottom layer. Top with yogurt and then remaining cake half.
- Place in freezer for minimum of 2 hours or until cake is set.
- Before serving frost with optional whipped cream and top with fresh strawberries if desired.