Rosemary Skewered Pistachio Encrusted Chicken
Have I ever mentioned my love of pistachios? Yes I’m a nut in more ways than one. My love for the little green nut is problematic actually. When they’re in the house I can’t seem to stop myself from popping the entire package once they’re open. It’s a shame they’re so ridiculously expensive and high maintenance. You have to really want that nut to sit there and shell more than a few. Sadly I’m a gluten for punishment and love them never the less. These rosemary skewered pistachio encrusted chicken are a great thing to do with my favorite little nut. You know other than just eat them out of the bag.
This recipe is inspired by my friend Meredith of the Loverly In Sock Monkey Slippers. She whipped up her baked version last week while we were in Chicago (so good I thought she was going to win) and I knew I’d have to put my own twist on them. My recipes starts off with chicken breast strips marinated in liquid gold and spices. Then they’re encrusted with pistachios and WASA whole grain crispbread. Yep, and you thought WASA was only a cracker. So not the case. If you’re ever in a pinch for breadcrumbs these are my go to. I pop a few into the blender, pulse away and voila’ instant substitution.
A quick trip to my rosemary bush a few instant herb skewers were born. Here’s a tip one of my reader’s shared: Cut the stem on a bias so it goes through much smoother. They not only make a great presentation they add even more flavor! Plus you don’t have to soak rosemary skewers now do you. You know I’m impatient. Pop them on your grill pan and in a few minutes you’ll be dipping away. Because I’m saucy I whipped up a quick sweet/spicy fig dipping sauce.
If you’re looking for a great finger food for your next holiday party give these a try! If you’re lucky enough to have any left over pop them between a biscuit the next day and slather on some of the dipping sauce. Two for one baby!
Now you know I love a party and we’re spreading the virtual WASA love today, so please pop over to a few of my most favorite people on the planet’s blogs to check out their very creative and tasty recipes made using wasa:
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by WASA. Opinions are my own. Always have been Always will be.
- 1 pound chicken breast strips
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup pistachios - crushed
- 4 whole grain wasa crispbreads - crushed
- 6-8 fresh rosemary skewers
- 1/2 cup fig preserves
- 1 teaspoon chile infused olive oil
- Into a large bowl add: chicken, olive oil and paprika. Toss to coat. Add pistachios, wasa. Toss to coat.
- Remove all but approximately 1-2" of rosemary needles to create skewers (save for another recipe or discard). Cut bottom of skewer on a bias to create a "spear". Skewer each chicken strip.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken on hot grill pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until chicken is cooked through. Transfer to serving plate.
- Into a small bowl combine: fig preserves, chili oil. Mix to combine. Use as dipping sauce.