I’m a fan of all things homemade bread. Especially sweet bread. But not sweetbreads. Let’s just be clear, that’s a WHOLE different thing and really should be called something different because one could easily be fooled into thinking that’s something it’s not. Anywho, I’ll jump out of that rabbit hole and get back to this Easter Bread, you can google it up if you’re not familiar with it.
I came to learn about and love Easter Bread while I was living in Italy. It’s traditionally made for Italian and Greek Easter celebrations, though others have adopted the tradition as well. It can be made into one large loaf (obviously you’ll need to adjust the cooking time for larger loaves) or several smaller loaves. I’ve seen it braided or twisted, and made with or without eggs. I liked the smaller ones even though it’s a little more work.
This Easter bread is a soft and chewy yeast bread with a hint of sweetness and citrus. I used orange zest but lemon zest would be delicious as well.
To save time, you can dye the eggs in advance of baking the bread. We are NOT using hard boiled eggs. The eggs will cook in the oven while the bread bakes. You’ll want to be extra careful dying them because will be raw. You know what happens if a raw egg cracks. That’s messy and who needs extra mess.
The eggs do not have to be dyed but I think they’re more festive dyed. Sprinkles are also festive. I had all white on hand but multicolored would be even more festive. Use what you like.
I’m kind of a rebel and I really enjoy my Easter bread dipped in honey. I’m sure that’s breaking some kind of rule but I can’t help it, it’s GOOD.
Are you ready to make your own?
Disclaimer: I am a recipe developer for Dixie Crystals. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 6 raw (unboiled) eggs, dyed or tinted as desired
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, scalded
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 eggs, beaten & separated
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour*
- Colored sprinkles or edible decoration of choice
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
- Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush - Small
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.