Not your Nana’s Nana Puddin’
I realize that you probably have heard this before, BUT this is simply, hands down the BEST banana pudding you will EVER taste! Being from the South, trust me, I have tasted my fair share of banana puddings and I am able to say this with complete confidence. This is the one recipe that takes them all! I have to give credit to my good friend Julie for this recipe. Strangely enough Julie doesn’t even like bananas, so it’s even more incredible and a true testament to her cooking talents. I modified it only slightly because it was seriously that good! I will warn you this is insanely RICH! You’ll be tempted to scoop out a very large dish of this but I’m telling you it’s that RICH so go easy!
You’ll want to use nice firm bananas. You don’t want any soggy nanas clogging up your pudding. Also, I know you’re going to want to dive right into this, but it really is best to wait a few hours to give the wafers time to absorb that nana goodness! Use a good quality PURE vanilla extract. You can taste the difference.
Every time I have taken this dish to an event or served it at home, you get the same reaction. First their eyes get a little bigger, the smile starts to grow & then the lovely sounds of “mmmh, oh, oh, this is delicious” (& a myriad of other adjectives) inevitably followed by “I HAVE TO HAVE THIS RECIPE!”
So break out that Trifle bowl that you got as a wedding gift or engagement gift that you put WAY in the back of your cabinet somewhere & put it to good use. You’ll be happy you did!
Can’t wait to hear from you on this one!
- .8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
- 5.1 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- 4-5 bananas - cut into small slices
- 1 box of vanilla wafers
- 1 bag of Heath chips
- In a mixer, beat cream cheese, until creamy. Add sugar and continuing mixing.
- Once mixed, add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, pudding and milk. Mix well.
- Add approximately 1/3 of the whipped cream and fold with spatula. Add banana slices and fold into mixture.
- In a trifle bowl arrange vanilla wafers on the bottom of the bowl. Layer banana pudding, vanilla wafers, additional pudding mixture then top with whipped cream and sprinkle with heath chips.
- Transfer to refrigerator to chill for approximately 1-2 hours so wafers can soften.