Limoncello! The luxuriously lemony drink! It just screams spring and summertime to me. There’s nothing like it. I love everything about it, it’s vibrant color, it’s sweet citrus smell, it’s smooth as Casanova flavor. But then again, I love all things lemon. It may look like sunshine and sweetness but pucker up princess (and princes) this one packs a punch.
If you’re not familiar, Limoncello is a drink that originated in Southern Italy. It’s typically made from Sorrento Lemons, which are some of the most beautiful lemons you will evah taste. The first time I had this summertime sipper I was hooked. It’s a before or after dinner drink or digestivo that is meant to be drank chilled so keep it in your freezer. Don’t worry it won’t freeze. If you want to take it a step further chill your serving glasses too. Because we’re all fancy like that. I know you’ll be tempted to chug a lug but it’s meant to be sipped and with good reason. It’s made using pure grain alcohol, remember that punch I told you about? That’s. it.
To enjoy this beverage in the warmer weather months you’ll need to get started NOW because it needs to sit and settle for a bit. There are only 4 ingredients needed. I pick up organic lemons for this recipe as we’re using the peels. The hardest part of this recipe, besides waiting for it to do it’s thing, is the peeling of the lemons.
Here’s a few tips: I’ve found a vegetable peeler works best for me. It’s not a potato peeling race, you’ll want to take caution and go slow. You ONLY want the lemon peel and not the pith (white portion), which is where the bitterness lies. Fear not, if you happen to get a little of the pith just use your pairing knife and cut it off. Next up is the alcohol. I used Everclear for my pure grain alcohol (you could also use moonshine). Choose a glass container with a seal-able, airtight lid. You’ll be shaking this once a day and you don’t want anything spewing out.
Because we don’t like to waste anything don’t throw all those naked lemons away. Make LEMON CURD or maybe a piccata.
I can’t wait for mine to mature and enjoy in just a few short weeks!
- 1 liter pure grain alcohol (Everclear)
- 10 organic lemons - peeled
- 3 cups sugar
- 4.5 cups water
- Wash your lemons and dry them well. Remove the peels with your vegetable peeler . Careful to ONLY peel the rind and NOT the pith (white portion).
- Place the lemon peels into a large glass container with an wide mouth & an airtight lid. Pour the alcohol on top & seal with lid. Keep the container in a cool dry dark place. Shake it once a day for approximately 10 days.
- On the 11th day, boil the water and sugar, stirring often until well combined, making a make a simple syrup. Take off of heat and let it cool completely.
- Remove the lemon peels from your jar and discard. Strain the liquid with a sieve or coffee filter. Combine the two liquids together. Pour them into desired bottles and leave them at least once month before consuming.
- Note: Limoncello is best served chilled.