Ah, gelato, there’s nothing like it, and with the help of my handy dandy Cuisinart maker I can make it anytime we want. I love all things lemon. The more pucker the better ; ) So of course for the first gelato of the season I wanted to make Limone. It’s sunshine in a cup, or cone however you prefer!
You can customize the tartness to your taste, just add more or less zest and lemon juice and voila. Gelato always makes me feel like I’m in Italy. It wasn’t uncommon for me to eat it 2-3 times per day especially in the spring and summertime.
Perhaps it was the fact that I could NEVER pass a gelatteria without stopping, lucky for me they’re not hard to find.
Semplicemente favoloso (simply fabulous). Now I know you’d like some of that gelato al limone right? Of course I wouldn’t leave you without the recipe. This time around I used heavy whipping cream and half and half for an extra luscious lemony gelato (this is the way my Mom makes hers ; ) !
I have used milk to make my other gelato recipes and you could certainly do that as well. You can make this up ahead of time and then just pop it into your ice cream maker when you’re ready to enjoy.
In the warmer months I ALWAYS keep my ice cream maker bowl in the freezer so that it’s ready to go when we are as I’m not the most patient person in the world ; ) Especially when it comes to GELATO.
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 6 lemons – zested & juiced (approx 1/2 cup lemon zest & 1 cup lemon juice)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Whisk your egg yolks, heavy cream together into a bowl and set aside.
- Into a large sauce pan add half and half, lemon zest and sugar. Heat over medium heat stirring frequently until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Add some of the warm half and half mixture to the egg yolk mixture into order to temper.
- GRADUALLY add the egg yolk mixture into the half and half mixture and stir well to combine.
- Return to medium heat and cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat stir in vanilla extract.
- Allow pan to cool slightly cover with saran wrap and place into the fridge to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to make your gelato stir in the lemon juice and follow instructions on your ice cream maker.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.