Veal Scaloppine is an easy and elegant dish that is comprised of tender veal cutlets topped with a creamy mushroom sauce. You’ll want to serve this with bread to get every bit of that sauce.
Another very impressive dish that couldn’t be simpler to make. Veal Scaloppine. It even sounds romantic doesn’t it. And why wouldn’t you just fall in love with this dish? There’s veal, mushrooms, CHEESE, ham, cream… It’s just dreamy all together.
And for such an impressive dish, it’s not all that expensive either. Gourmet on a budget, I love it! Why because we’re using veal cutlets. And bonus points, because they’re thin they cook up in a flash.
How to Make Veal Scaloppine?
After you cook those cutlets in a butter bath you’re going to whip up the shroom sauce. The sensational scrumptious shroom sauce, try to say that 3 times fast.
Starting with another butter bath, I never said this was going to be low fat did I. We add onions and garlic and then the mushrooms. They mingle for a while until the ham and cream, yes heavy whipping cream are ready to come to the party pan. Then it gets a little spot of glorious green color with fresh parsley.
At this point I could just grab a spoon and eat the sauce by itself, or dip a baguette into the pan and go to town BUT no, I’m going to be patient and assemble the dish for the oven.
I used a shallow casserole dish to bake this in. Spray her with a little suntan ehem cooking oil, carefully lay the cutlets in and then I bring out the big gun, the MICROPLANE. It wouldn’t be a party without the cheese now would it? NO! I used Fontina cheese here.
What is Fontina Cheese?
Fontina cheese is a beautiful cows milk cheese. If you can’t find Fontina, you may substitute Emmental or Gruyere.
You’ll want a baguette to go along with this meal. Trust me, the sauce, oh that sauce.
MORE VEAL RECIPES TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by my veal scaloppine recipe, you’ll love these other veal recipes:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter – divided
- 8 veal cutlets – approximately 3/4 pounds
- 8 ounces button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 lemon – juiced
- 1 small onion – minced
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 4 slices of cooked ham – cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 heaping teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf Italian parsley – roughly chopped
- 1 cup Fontina Cheese – grated, divided
1. Into a deep side pan, melt 3.5 tablespoons butter. Add veal, season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for approximately 3-4 minutes. Turning once. Place heat to LOW and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes. Place veal and it’s liquid into a dish and keep warm.
2. WHILE veal is cooking, place mushrooms into a small/medium bowl and pour lemon juice over. Toss to coat. Set aside.
3. Into the same pan, add 3.5 tablespoons butter and allow to melt. Add onion, garlic and cook over low heat until onions are softened. Add mushrooms and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Stirring as necessary.
4. Add ham, heavy cream, flour. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Continue cooking on LOW heat for approximately 10 minutes. When finished cooking sprinkle parsley over.
5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray. Return the veal to dish. Sprinkle half of the Fontina cheese on top of veal. Top with mushroom mixture and then remaining cheese. Bake for approximately 10 minutes OR until bubbly and golden.
We would love to see them!