Pasta makes me happy. Homemade pasta makes me even happier. There’s something about the process of combining 3 simple ingredients that once mixed together form this crazy carb deliciousness that is so incredible to me. That process of making pasta is therapeutic for me, and cheap therapy at that ; ) Last month we announced we’ll have a monthly homemade pasta installment this year.
We showed you HOW TO MAKE RAVIOLI in January and now we’re bumping up the color and flavor factor and moving onto how to make spinach pasta!
Spinach pasta is a veggie-based pasta that is low in calories and high in calcium, fiber, antioxidants, and B vitamins. Spinach pasta isn’t only beautiful it’s delicious. That color, just jumps right off the plate. I started with 6 ounces of fresh spinach. I sauteed it with a tad a extra virgin olive oil, salt and garlic.
Then I transferred it to my mini food processor (you could use a blender), using a slotted spoon to remove as much liquid as possible and whizzed it until I was happy with the consistency.
You take those 3 simple ingredients: flour, eggs and salt and the magic begins. With a lot of help from my trusty 7 quart KitchenAid Stand Mixer I begin the process. It’s not difficult, just a little time consuming but worth every single second if you ask me ; )
The dough lets you know what it needs. Too wet, add more flour, too dry add more liquid. It’s really that easy.
Once it forms that perfect ball, not too tacky not too sticky just perfect you let it rest. I take this opportunity to clean up my very messy kitchen at this point ; ) And then you break out the attachments, roll and cut and you have this beautiful and brilliant green spinach fettuccine just waiting to be cooked.
While the pasta was cooking (and just a note, homemade pasta only takes just a few minutes to cook, much faster than dried pasta) I put a small saute pan with a little olive oil and sauteed a handful of cherry tomatoes and then tossed the drained pasta in and reached for my fork. It’s that quick and easy.
More homeade pasta:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- pinch salt
- 1 cup cooked spinach - pureed
- Place flour into the bowl of your stand mixer. Create a well.
- Add eggs, salt. Using paddle attachment, mix together until well combined. Add spinach.
- Continue mixing until a ball forms. Scrape sides as necessary. Adjust if necessary. Add more flour if dough is too wet.
- Switch to dough hook and knead dough for approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Cover mixing bowl with kitchen towel and allow dough to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Attach roller attachment to mixer. Cut dough ball into 4 equal portions.
- Take 1 portion and flatten it with your hand. Run through roller attachment until it reaches a level 4 thinness.
- Attach Fettuccine attachment to mixer. Feed dough through.
- Lay fettuccine on a lightly floured work surface.
- Continue same process with 3 remaining dough portions.
- KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield, 5-Quart, Empire Red
- Kitchenaid KPRA Pasta Roller and cutter for Spaghetti and Fettuccine
- OXO Good Grips Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Scraper & Chopper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.