Nutella Sea Salt Caramels
Soft chewy caramels that have that ribbon of ooey gooey sticky goodness that pulls away when you bite into them. Yes that’s a very good thing. Nutella Sea Salt Caramels I don’t even have words. I’m not sure why exactly it’s taken me so long to try making my own caramels. I honestly thought it was going to be a long drawn out process not to mention the possibility of severe burns. Hello it is candy making after all. Hot bubbling sugar mixture combined with the queen of clumbsy yes it could happen. Guess what? It wasn’t hard at all.
After spending some time googling and reading what seemed like a gazillion recipes that called for the use of multiple pots and combining hot mixtures that COULD bubble over and create a hot sticky mess. No thank you. I decided to tinker with Susan’s recipe. A – I knew it would work because it’s Susan’s and B. – It’s a one pot wonder. Hooray.
You do need a candy thermometer. Just get one you’ll get your money’s out of it and you’ll eliminate the guess work as to when candy is done. Next you’ll need a heavy bottom pan/pot. I used my Le Creuset 5 1/2 quart French Oven. Then you’ll add most of the ingredients and bring them to a boil. Hard right? Watch for the right temperature and then you add in the next ingredients. Pour and wait. Ridiculously easy. The hardest part will be waiting for them to set up. Or maybe a tie for holding the VERY HEAVY hot pot with one hand while you’re trying to scrape every bit of that goodness into the pot and not get any on yourself or the stove. Note to self: might be a good idea to make caramels when someone is home to help hold said heavy pot.
I am going to to be experimenting with different flavor combinations and will most definitely be making these as Christmas gifts for friends this year. Hope they’re not reading this. Oops.
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this post. Meaning if you click and buy a product I will receive a few cents ; )
Recipe slightly adapted from Doughmesstic
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- fleur de sel to garnish
- In a heavy bottomed large sauce pan, add: butter, sugars, syrup, sea salt and cream. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and mixture is well combined.
- Using a candy thermometer, when mixture reaches 230 degrees remove from heat and stir in vanilla and Nutella.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then pour into an 8×8 pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Allow to cool in pan slightly, sprinkle with fleur de sel and then refrigerate for several hours. Once chilled, cut into small squares.
- Caramels can be wrapped individually in wax paper.