Surprise it’s still COLD. Good thing “Ada” my KitchenAid Range is such a workhorse. She’s been getting a massive workout EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. Especially the oven portion. Besides massive amount of chocolate chip cookies there have been a plethora of pasta bakes. I’m a fan of the pasta bake, aka casserole or cheesy carb-y goodness. You pick. What’s not to love about melted cheese and warm pasta? If you’re not a fan, I’m not sure we could be friends. Okay well maybe if you brought me wine and let me eat your bowl of pasta, that might work. Maybe. Chocolate would be good also. Just a thought.
Back to the pasta. This from scratch pasta bake comes together quickly and is bursting at the seams with fresh crunchy broccoli (not so much that you’ll chip a tooth, just enough so you know you’re eating veg) that’s been bathed in a creamy sauce that’s been sprinkled with panko and bacon.
Want a fork? My editors over at Parade Magazine did. Why, yes I can finally share with you all loverlies that I’m a new contributing writer for PARADE MAGAZINE . com. Pretty cool eh?
- 2 cups ziti pasta
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion - minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place a large pot of generously salted water on to boil. When boiling add pasta and cook until just shy of al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking in a medium skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towels to absorb excess grease.
- Remove all but 1 Tbsp of bacon fat from pan and discard.
- Add onions and parsley and cook until just translucent. Stirring as needed. Add flour and stir until it has coated the mixture.
- Gradually add in milk and continue cooking, stirring until mixture has thickened.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, beating on low after each addition. Beat just until the dough comes together.
- Pour mixture into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle top with panko.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until mixture is bubbly and panko is golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g