Grilled Nutella Mousse Tarts post is sponsored by Pillsbury. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
You know grilling isn’t just for meats and veggies (and fruits, can’t leave out fruits, have you tried grilled peaches? Oh sweet drippy goodness do it!). Why let them have all the fun? You can make desserts on the grill too! Sure can.
In fact you can make an entire meal on the grill. Besides having all that gorgeous grill flavor you’re not messing up the kitchen. That’s happy happy happy in my book. Anyone else hate doing dishes?
Pillsbury challenged me to come up with a GRILLED recipe using their refrigerated pie crust. The first thing I thought of was a turn over but I thought mmmm better not. Might be messy, might not be pretty (because let’s face it if it doesn’t look good who is going to want to eat it) then I thought why not put them in mini tart pans?
That could work, and it sure did like a champ. Timing, it was all about the timing.
After we finished grilling our steaks (you don’t want your tart shells tasting like steak – or whatever else you’re grilling – that wouldn’t be cool) I placed the tart shells onto a grilling tray (over indirect heat). I closed the lid and waited for it to work it’s magic.
While they were cooking, and the steaks were resting (remember a well rested steak is a juicy steak), I popped into the kitchen and whipped up the mousse. By the time I was done the tarts were too! It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Grilled Nutella Mousse Tarts
Grilled Nutella Mousse Tarts
- 1 refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar - divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese – softened
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup Nutella – melted
- cocoa powder to dust - optional
- fresh mint to garnish - optional
- Preheat grill.
- Unroll pie crust. Invert your tart pan and cut 4 slightly larger circles than your pan. Spray pans with non-stick cooking spray. Place a pie crust round into the bottom of each pan. Transfer tart pans to a grilling pan.
- Place over indirect heat. Close grill lid and cook for approximately 10 minutes OR until crust is lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- In your stand mixer with your whisk attachment attached, add whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar. Continue whisking until you have whipped cream. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl, add cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Mix together with the paddle attachment until creamy. Add honey.
- Place Nutella into a microwave proof container and heat it for about 30 seconds until it’s warmed through. Add Nutella to cream cheese mixture and mix until combined well.
- Remove bowl from mixer and using a spatula gently fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until combined. Transfer mixture to refrigerator until you're ready to assemble tarts.
- To assemble: Spoon or pipe filling into tart shells. Dust with cocoa powder and garnish with fresh mint if desired.
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
Oh yum!! This looks awesome!
Cassie | Bake Your Day says
These are so fun, Paula! Totally drooling.
I love your Nutella posts, Paula. So yummy!
Karen @ The Food Charlatan says
I’m with you on the peaches, yuuuuuum. And nutella mousse?? um, OKAY.
Whaaaa?! This is awesome! I can’t wait to do this!
Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says
Wow! Never thought of grilling pastry. Love the fact that you were challenged and rose to the occasion…and, so beautifully! Nutella Mousse…the easy yet most delectable way to go. Perfect for summer. BRAVO, girl! Pinning to group boards… xo
The Café Sucre Farine says
Looks wonderful Paula, I’m imagining it with Biscoff too! So cool that you can do this on the grill!
What a great idea! It’ll soon be too hot for using the oven. I love this recipe!
Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet says
So imaginative. Nutella rules the world. 🙂
Cookin Canuck says
What a fun idea, Paula! You are the queen of Nutella, my friend.