Grilled Mini Meatball Subs
Do you like to get your grill on? As in bbq grill not dental grill (which I have never ever understood – How do you clean those things? I mean just buy a ring or a bracelet already). IF you do, and you think you have what it takes my friends at Dole are hosting their Dole California Cook-Off and you should honestly consider entering. Besides glory there’s a whole lotta
gumbo cash at stake. Like $25,000. All you have to do is come up with a killer recipe (some rules and regulations apply see contest page for full details – did that come across in my announcer voice?) and submit it.
IF I was going to submit a recipe I would enter these GRILLED MINI MEATBALL SUBS. Yes, I said grilled meatballs. With the help of a meatball basket made especially for the grill you can yes sir ree bob grill meatballs. They make a gadget for everything these days don’t they? While the meatballs are grilling, I whisked up the sweet and spicy sauce in a small saucepan and then toasted the bread just before plating time. No need to even step into the kitchen, your gas grill can handle all this and then some.
Dole has asked me to share more info on the Cook Off and exactly how you can enter:
The fifth annual DOLE® California Cook-Off contest is now accepting grilling recipes at Dole.com/cookoff. One talented griller will take home a whopping $25,000 in addition to 4 days/3 nights in celebrity-centric L.A. and earn the respect of celebrity chef Ben Ford!
If you’re a fan of grilling and have a special, family-favorite recipe that incorporates a DOLE packaged product, we want to know about it! Submit a bite-sized version in the DOLE 2013 California Cook-Off recipe contest on Dole.com/cookoff and be ready to be judged on your best use of DOLE products, creativity, flavor and taste. It’s that simple!
Three finalists will be selected from around the nation and flown to sunny Southern California in late June, where they will don official Cook-Off aprons and prepare their delectable Dole dish in front of envious onlookers and a panel of judges led by a renowned celebrity chef, Ben Ford of Ford’s Filling Station in Culver City, Calif. Hungry for the challenge but nervous about preparing your dish in the limelight? Don’t sweat it! During the final Cook-off each finalist will have a L.A. based food blogger as their Sous Chef, all personally selected by Dole.
The 2013 DOLE California Cook-Off contest launched March 17, 2013 at 12 a.m. ET and closes on May 15, 2013. Submit a delicious appetizer, small plate, tapas, taster, or just a healthier portion sized dish that can be prepared in 60 minutes or less on a gas grill using at least one DOLE product and no more than seven additional ingredients. Participation is simple – check out Dole.com/cookoff for more information and the official contest rules.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Dole. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup Dole crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 cup water
- sausage meatballs
- 9 French steak rolls
- chives - minced (optional)
- Preheat grill.
- Prepare sausage meatballs Follow directions until you arrive to placing them into oven, instead of placing them into the oven, spray a grilling basket with non-stick cooking spray and insert meatballs into basket. Place over indirect heat and cook for 20 minutes turning often.
- While meatballs are cooking, into a medium sauce pan add: apple butter, Dijon, garlic, crushed pineapple, Tabasco and water. Heat over medium - low heat until mixture is warmed through.
- Place cooked meatballs into sauce to coat.
- Cut a slit in the middle (do not cut all the way through) of steak rolls and place onto the grill for 30 seconds to 1 minute just long enough to toast. Place 3 meatballs per roll and a drizzle of additional sauce.
- Garnish with chives.