This season, Miracle-Gro wants to inspire everyone to get out and Gro something. There’s a way to incorporate “Gro-ing” into a myriad of different DIY projects-and you don’t have to be an avid gardener or live out in the country to accomplish it! All you need is a little creativity and inspiration-and you can create a beautiful, living piece of art for just about any occasion/recipe/area of your home. What did I make? A super simple succulent centerpiece that’s perfect for spring and summer.
Besides being beautiful, it’s budget friendly! It uses recycled cans from your kitchen. The only thing you’ll need to pick up is a bag of Miracle-Gro soil and succulents. Once you have those you can get started.
- STEP 1: Clean cans and make sure they’re completely dry. When choosing cans, pick a variety of shapes and sizes of cans for contrast.
- STEP 2: Drill 2-3 holes into the bottom of each can for drainage.
- STEP 3: Place a few rocks/pebbles from your yard over the holes at the bottom of each can.
- STEP 4: Fill each can with Miracle-Gro soil. I used Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix. I like that it protects against over & underwatering and it absorbs 33% more water!
- STEP 5: Place succulents into each can. Fill with additional Miracle-Gro soil if needed. Place a small plate or plastic tray under each can to protect table.
Because you know I like options, I think these would be fantastic made with herbs as well.
I love the idea of having these on an outdoor table during a party, picnic, or family gathering. They’re also the perfect height so no one will be bobbing around tall centerpieces to see and talk with each other (huge pet peeve of mine – be mindful of centerpiece heights people) Another great idea, use a smaller can (like the one pictured above) and plant individual succulents per can. When your guests are leaving give them one as a “happy”. What’s that? I call small gifts that make people happy “happies”. Who wouldn’t want one of those?
EDITED TO ADD: Thank you for your entries. Contest has ended. Winner is Donna and has been notified via email.
or maybe a GIFT CARD to help youGRO something? GIVEAWAY: $250 AMEX GIFT CARD
1. Leave a Gro-Project idea in the comment section. (bonus entries. You MUST leave a SEPARATE comment for each entry to count.)
2. Follow bell’alimento on PINTEREST and pin the first or last image in this post.
3. Re-pin a project from Miracle-Gro’s PINTEREST board.
4. Follow bell’alimento on TWITTER.
5. Follow bell’alimento on INSTAGRAM.
6. Sign up for bell’alimento’s NEWSLETTER
7. Like bell’alimento on FACEBOOK.
8. Like Miracle-Gro on FACEBOOK.
9. Tweet about the giveaway include post link https://bellalimento.com/2013/05/13/diy-recycled-can-succulent-centerpiece/ , @bellalimento & #GroSomething in your tweet.
RULES: Contest is open to those 18 years of age or older with a valid US mailing address. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. Contest runs May 13-May 21st, 2013 at 12:0o EST. One winner will be chosen randomly and notified via email. Winner has 48 hours to reply or an alternate winner will be drawn.
Disclaimer: I am working with Miracle-Gro for this project and was provided with sample and compensation-but all opinions are my own.