Did you know that you can make your very own Italian Seasoning mix? You sure can. I typically make this in the summer time when my fresh herbs are going nuts and I have more than I can possibly use. I just lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment and let them wither away. Voila, like magic you have dried spices. My favorite part?
Blasting them up in my coffee grinder until they’re to my just right for me desired consistency (I like a little texture if you like yours more of a powder then just keep on blasting away).
I honestly HATE to waste food (ask my family how many versions of chicken they had last week ha) so this is a great way to re-purpose your fresh herbs. This could not be any easier and because you’re making it yourself you can pretty much decide what goes into it. Don’t like rosemary (gasp) leave it out. Love extra parsley, put it in. The seasoning police are not going to show up at your house so go ahead and be bold.
Now if you don’t have an herb garden growing like weeds on your deck, no worries, you can definitely use store bought dried herbs to make your mix (no need to pulse them in the grinder if using store bought just mix together.)
I store my seasoning mix in mini Weck jars (obsessed) and stack them in my pantry. PS these make great gifts so don’t be afraid to blast up a huge batch and share the seasoning love. Maybe your friends will even make you a meal using it! Not that that is my motivation or anything.
Now what do you do with this masterful mix? It’s great on chicken, pork or even as a dipping sauce for crusty bread (mix a little seasoning mix with olive oil).
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried flat leaf Italian parsley
- Pulse ingredients into a spice grinder until desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.
- Weck 760 Mini Mold Jar, 5.4 Ounce - 12 Jars
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- Quiseen One-Touch Electric Coffee Grinder. Grinds Coffee Beans, Spices, Nuts and Grains - Durable Stainless Steel Blades (Black)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.