Death by Chocolate Zucchini Cake
You would never guess by simply looking at this cake but there is Zucchini buried in there underneath that deep dark decadent chocolate. Scandalous, I know. Please don’t tell my kids about this. I try to get as many vegetables in them as possible and they absolutely adored this cake. On another note, does putting zucchini into cake means it’s considered health food? Because if so then I’m definitely on board with health food.
Recently the folks at ViSalus contacted me and asked me to create a recipe using their Vi-Shape Nutritional Shape Mix. As you know, I’m always up for a challenge so I gladly accepted. They provided me with a package of Vi-Shape Sweet Cream Flavor to use in my recipe development. Their website says that “Vi-Shape® is the shake mix that tastes like a cake mix.” Clearly a cake was in order. Meant to be if you ask me.
I used the Vi-Shape shake mix (blended with milk) in place of where buttermilk and vanilla extract would have gone in this deep dark decadent Death by Chocolate Zucchini Cake recipe (I’m picturing Darth Vader saying that I have no idea why). It worked. It worked really well. Like well enough to convince little boys that zucchini in cake was a good thing. Except that they didn’t know there was zucchini in there.
I made these cakes in 4″ round flexipans. That way, I can add the optional chocolate sauce and nuts and not feel TOO bad about it. They’d be great made in loaf pans as well. Options, they’re a good thing. Just get some zucchini and get to it! Whether or not you choose to tell there’s zucchini in there is up to you. My lips are however sealed.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by ViSalus. For specific information on their products please refer to the ViSalus website. I was compensated for my time in creating this recipe and post. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Saigon cinnamon
- 2 rounded scoops Sweet Cream Flavor, Vi-Shape nutritional shake mix
- 8 ounces milk
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- chocolate sauce - optional, to garnish
- nuts - optional, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Into the bowl of your stand mixer add: sugar, butter and oil. Mix together until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each egg.
- Into a bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- Into blender add shake mix and milk. Pulse until combined.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with shake mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir zucchini and chocolate chips into batter until combined. Pour batter into baking pans or loaf pans. (I used 4" Round DeMarle Flexipan).
- Bake at 350° for approximately 30 to 35 minutes OR until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans and then garnish with optional chocolate sauce and nuts.