10 Minute Thai Coconut Soup . An easy comforting bowl of Thai inspired coconut soup.
I am a soup fanatic. I love soup of all kinds (well except for vegetable soup, I know odd). If it’s ever offered on a menu I’m ordering it. Soup or Salad? You guessed it. I went out to lunch with a blogging friend earlier this week to a local Thai Cafe. They had a delicious Coconut Soup that made me pretty much ignored my shrimp Pad Thai (don’t worry I took it home and ate it later) for and if I didn’t think it would have looked bad I would have tipped the bowl and slurped all of it down.
Needless to say, I restrained knowing that I would most definitely be re-creating their bowl of deliciousness at home where I could slurp in private. And slurp I did.
After some heavy duty research (aka googling and a call to friends on twitter for their favorite links – thanks y’all) I set out to make a take on the version I had at the restaurant minus the tofu, because well that’s something else on my hard pass list so I omitted it. If you’re feeling it, good on ya, add some or even chicken which as I discovered while tickling the keyboard is in the traditional soup recipe.
This is by no means traditional. I should probably refer to it as Thai-esque to keep the internet food police at bay. Whatever you call it, it’s delicious and did I mention it takes 10 minutes to pull together?
To keep this recipe short and sweet I used prepared Gourmet Garden Herbs (ehem disclaimer – this isn’t a sponsored post I just happen to like their products). I’m sure you’ve seen these herbs in a TUBE in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. They’re organic and convenient (read no chopping and having to source things like lemongrass which in my neck of the woods is pretty impossible). If you can’t find them you can absolutely use fresh whole ingredients and chop away.
This soup is creamy, coco-nutty and refreshing. Yes we put the lime in the coconut too. That’s a given. It’s great on it’s own or serve it with Pad Thai like we did.
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 4 ounces mushrooms - thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili paste
- 1 lime - juiced
- fresh cilantro - to garnish
- Into a large pot add: coconut milk, chicken stock, lemongrass, ginger and garlic. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add mushrooms and reduce to a simmer. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add fish sauce, chili paste, and lime juice. Mix to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro prior to serving.
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.