Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna.
I absolutely hands down love lasagna. I equate the dish to my favorite slippers or warm fuzzy blanket. Not in an edible sense of course because who wants to eat shoes (besides my dog sigh). Lasagna just hits that feels good button and makes me want to go to directly to sleep once I’ve eaten a very
large petite portion. Downfall to eating all those carbs right?
I immediately want to go take a nap (yes I fear I’m 85). We’ve made Lasagna alla Bolognese about half dozen times since the calendar has changed (not necessarily the weather). Lasagna alla Bolognese is the mother of all lasagnas, it’s true and quite possibly is my favorite version but sometimes, just sometimes I want something a little lighter.
Something like this Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna with Crispy Fried Sage. It hits the spot and yes still makes me want to nap. I suffer through because well it’s lasagna and I just can’t help myself. This lasagna is more budget friendly than our meatier version and chances are good that you might not even miss the meat in this one.
If you wanted to “beef” it up a little more I think sauteed mushrooms would make a fantastic addition. Or maybe crispy pancetta sprinkled throughout. Options, you know I like them.
TIPS & TRICKS :
If you’re expecting company and want to make this dish in advance simply make it the night before, cover and place into the refrigerator. When you’re ready to bake the following day, let the dish come to room temperature and then bake according to directions.
Want to dazzle your family? Fry up a few sages leaves to use as a crispy garnish and loosen a few tablespoons of the squash puree with extra stock to drizzle around plate. They’ll think you ran off to culinary school. Okay well maybe not but you will have a beautiful plate to present.
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 1 butternut squash - halved and seeded
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- bechamel sauce
- 9 no bake lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place squash onto a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Scoop flesh from skin and transfer to blender. Add stock, nutmeg, sage and cheese. Pulse until blended and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare Bechamel Sauce
- To assemble: Spray a 10 x 10 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place a thin layer of bechamel onto bottom. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread a layer of squash mixture and top with a layer of bechamel. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Continue with additional layer. Finish with layer of bechamel and cheese only.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove foil and continue baking for 10-15 additional minutes OR until golden and bubbly.
- Allow pan to rest for minimum of 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Garnish with fried sage if desired.