Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Pancetta is creamy and delicious and perfect to enjoy all fall and winter long.
Pumpkin palooza is continuing this week on the blog. We’ve taken our Roasted Pumpkin from earlier in the week, pureed it and used it to make a creamy and decadent Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Pancetta. Yes pumpkin puree is simply roasted pumpkin that you puree. Nothing complicated about it.
In fact you might consider doubling up on the roasting so you have it on hand to use throughout the week for several dishes.
Can you use normal rice to make risotto ?
Arborio or carnaroli rice is the traditional rice that’s used. If you use regular rice the dish will not have the creaminess you expect from a risotto. Risotto rice is now readily available at most grocers so if at all possible go for those.
Why do you have to stir risotto?
Risotto has a bad reputation of being temperamental. It does require attention but it’s well worth it in the end. I’m one of those people that actually likes the stirring associated with risotto. Call me crazy. Stirring the Arborio or Carnaroli rice releases it’s starch and that’s what makes a risotto so creamy.
There’s something magical to me about watching the rice transform from tiny orbs of grain into a creamy and luscious spoonful of bliss right before your eyes. Now who’s ready for a bowl or two?
TIP: I used our Homemade Chicken Stock that I froze and have gobs of on hand, it’s a good thing I highly recommend it, if you want this risotto to be vegetarian simply use a vegetable stock in its place. Looking to make it even creamier? Drop in a dollop or two of Mascarpone cheese or fresh mozzarella.
MORE DELICIOUS RISOTTO RECIPES TO TRY
If you’re feeling inspired by this roasted pumpkin risotto recipe, you’ll love these other risotto recipes:
- 4 strips pancetta
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter – divided
- 1/2 onion – minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4-6 cups stock
- 1 cup pureed roasted pumpkin
- kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano – grated
- Place pancetta into a non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Into a heavy bottom saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions. Stir to combine and saute until translucent. Add rice and with a wooden spoon or wooden paddle stir constantly to coat the rice with the butter/onion mixture. Add wine and cook until wine has evaporated.
- Reduce heat to low add 1 cup/ladle of broth. Continually stir. Add pureed pumpkin. Once the broth has reduced add an additional ladle of broth. Continue this process until rice is cooked approximately 30 minutes.
- Approximately 5 minutes before cooking is finished add in remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir to combine. Add Parmigiano Reggiano. Stir to combine. Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Remove pan from heat, cover and allow to rest approximately 5 minutes.
- Garnish with crumbled pancetta and additional Parmigiano curls if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lundberg Family Farms White Arborio Rice, 32 Ounce
Microplane Zester Grater made in USA stainless steel blade for zesting citrus and grating cheese - plastic handle - black
Lagostina Q5510174 La Risottiera Stainless Steel Risotto Pan Cookware, 4-Quart, Silver
AramediA Wooden Cooking Utensil Olive Wood Risotto Spoon, Stir Spoon with Hole - Handmade and Hand Carved By Bethlehem Artisans near the birthplace of Jesus (12.5" x 2.5" x 0.3")
We would love to see them!