Sausage and Sweet Bread Stuffing.
Last week I shared a recipe for our BUTTER ROASTED CORNISH HENS. You might have noticed they were overflowing with a gorgeous looking stuffing and that I didn’t share the recipe for said stuffing. I know this because I received emails. Lots and lots (yes that’s a technical term) of emails asking me to share the recipe. The wait is over and just in the nick of Thanksgiving.
This sausage and sweet bread stuffing literally made me change the way I think about stuffing. I first have to tell you how much I REALLY love stuffing. It’s one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving. Yes, the stuffing. Half of my plate is typically stuffing. I’m not ashamed. I’m a proud stuffing lover. One that wears yoga pants but we’re not going to be Judgy McJudgy pants it’s Thanksgiving people.
This recipe came about after my friends at King’s Hawaiian (yes those rock star roll and bread makers) asked me to come up with a holiday recipe using their sweet rolls and/or bread. What did I gravitate to? You guessed it … STUFFING! I honestly don’t know why it’s taken me this many years to consider swapping out my tired old white bread and use sweet bread.
Not just any sweet bread, King Hawaiian’s sweet bread. You’re going to thank me for this one. It’s sweet and savory with the benefit of crunch (cashews) and character (dried apricots). Now all you need to decide is whether you’ll stuff your bird with it or bake it in a dish?
Want even more suggestions for Thanksgiving? Check out our FAVORITE RECIPES FOR YOUR THANKSGIVING TABLE! There’s everything from appetizers, to sides, the star of the show (hello turkey), desserts and even beverages. Of the adult variety, because holidays are stressful amiright?
- 1 loaf KING'S HAWAIIAN Original Hawaiian Sweet Round Bread
- 8 ounces sausage – casings removed
- 1 stalk celery – minced
- olive oil
- 1 onion- minced
- 1 egg - beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1-2 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread cubes onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for approximately 15 minutes OR until toasted.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until meat is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To pan add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add sausage. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a LARGE bowl. Add egg, parsley, and poultry seasoning. Stir to combine. Add in bread cubes and 1 cup chicken broth, apricots and cashews. Combine.
- If mixture is too dry add additional stock, if mixture is too wet add additional bread.
- When well combined and to desired consistency pour into an oven proof casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking for additional 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g