DIY Play Dough, 5 ingredients and about 5 minutes are all you need to mix up a homemade version of this childhood favorite.
I remembered my Mom making play dough for us as kids. We have a winner! You don’t even have to turn on the stove for this one. All you need is a bowl, a spatula and five simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. 5 minutes later you’ve got yourself a nice ball of homemade play dough that smells a whole lot better than the stuff you find in the plastic can if you ask me.
WHAT TO PUT ON YOUR SHOPPING LIST:
- ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
- KOSHER SALT
- CREAM OF TARTAR – is a dry, powdery, acidic byproduct of winemaking.
- VEGETABLE OIL
TIP: You can mix up as many different colors as you like by choosing different flavors of Kool-Aid.
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE PLAY DOUGH:
- LARGE BOWL
- ZIP TOP BAGS
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PLAY DOUGH.
1. In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid.
2. Pour water and oil over mixture. Mix together until a BALL forms.
3. Knead ball until it’s soft and smooth (not tacky).
4. Store play dough in a zip top bag in refrigerator when not in use.
TIP: Pull the bags out of the refrigerator a few minutes before they’re ready to play so that the KOOL dough can come to room temperature. No worries though, IF they don’t give you any heads up (because ehem they’re kids) OR if you’re too busy folding a gazillion loads of laundry just have them knead it until it comes to room temperature. It’s great practice for future pasta making!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (.14 ounces ) unsweetened Kool-Aid mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In large bowl, stir together: flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid.
- Pour water and oil over top of mixture. Mix together until a ball forms. Note: If mixture is too “sticky,” add more flour a little at a time until it comes together to form a ball.
- Knead ball until it's smooth and soft and no longer tacky.
- Store play dough in a zip top bag in the refrigerator when not in use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!