Tortellini in Brodo
Tortellini in Brodo means “Tortellini in Broth” or as my kids call it, Tortellini Soup. Whichever way you prefer to say it it’s always going to start with the broth. Since there are only 2 elements to this soup (well 3 if you add cheese and we always add cheese so okay 3) it’s important to make them count. Start with homemade stock. Making homemade stock couldn’t be easier I promise. If you can chuck everything into a stock pot, turn on the stove and later strain you can make homemade stock. Pretty much anytime I roast a chicken I’m making a batch of chicken stock afterwards. I leave a few jars in the fridge for that week and freeze the rest for later. Which is often. Amazing how many times I use chicken stock a week so I’m really grateful to have some in the freezer to thaw out as needed.
Homemade Chicken Stock
Once or twice a year I do make my own tortellini, usually for holidays or specials occasions. Today isn’t one of those days. If you already have chicken stock on freezer standby and you’re using pre-made tortellini you can make this soup in about 10 minutes. It’s meant as a starter course for your meal so I usually only divvy out 6-8 tortellini per bowl. Any extra means I get to nosh on them while I’m making the bowls pretty. I know it’s a little more time consuming than just straight ladling it the soup into a bowl BUT if you place the tortellini into the bottom of the bowl BEFORE ladling the broth on the top it makes for a much prettier presentation. I don’t recommend using your fingers, not that I’m against eating with my fingers it’s solely because the tortellini are HOT. A spoon works nicely for this.
If you’re insanely hungry or if beautiful bowls aren’t your thing then straight ladle away.
TIP: If you wanted a vegetarian version simply use vegetable stock. Options you know we love them.
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2" piece of Parmiggiano Reggiano rind
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf Italian parsley
- Into a large pot add chicken stock and rind and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce to a simmer. Add tortellini and cook until pasta is tender and cheese is melted.
- Place 6-8 tortellini into each bowl. Ladle broth on top.
- Garnish with grate Parmigiano Reggiano and parsley if desired.