Creamy Carrot and Parm Pasta
Did you know it’s possible to have a creamy pasta without actually adding any cream? I know the thought of a cream less cream sauce doesn’t seem possible but it really is. This very veggie sauce is going to blow your taste buds right out of the water. At first glance you might think this pasta looks like a version of a tasty macaroni and cheese. You’d be wrong. IF however, you’d like to let your kids think it’s macaroni and cheese instead of telling them it’s actually creamy CARROT and parm sauce go right ahead. I may or may not have led my kids to believe it was as well. Shhh.
The base of the sauce starts with, as the recipe title suggests, roasted carrots. Yes CARROTS. “What’s up doc?”, carrots. Which are kind of like vegetable crack to me. I could eat them like candy. Sticky sweet roasted candy and I did, which meant I had to make MORE roasted carrots when it was time to make the pasta. Good thing for me carrots are reasonably priced. This is a pasta I can feel good about eating over and over again. Not just because of the vegetable sauce but because of the actual pasta. It’s Dreamfields.
Dreamfields pasta is healthy pasta that likes traditional pasta. Don’t believe me, go ahead and try it for yourself. I promise not to say I told you so ; ). The proof is in the pudding as my Grandma would say. You can find their black boxes of pasta in most grocers pasta sections.
GIVEAWAY: 1 CASE of Dreamfields Pasta! Enter using the Rafflecopter Widget Below.
“Dreamfields is made using durum wheat grown by over 1,000 American farmers. It is authentic pasta with 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving – 2.5 times more than traditional pasta. They also add a natural plant fiber called inulin that helps support better digestion. This patented blend of fiber and plant protein helps you feel full longer to help maintain your healthy weight goals.” Carb lovers across the world rejoice with me!
Disclaimer: This post is brought to you by Dreamfields. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 6 medium carrots - peeled
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 pound Dreamfields rotini pasta
- Parmigiano Reggiano shavings - garnish
- fresh thyme - garnish
- crispy bacon - garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Onto a rimmed baking sheet place: carrots, bell pepper, garlic. Drizzle oil on top. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- When bell pepper is cool enough to handle, remove skin and seeds (discard).
- Place a large pot of generously salted water onto boil. When boiling, add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.
- Into blender add: roasted carrots, bell pepper and garlic. Start by adding 1 cup broth and pulse until pureed. Continue adding broth until you have a creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Into a large serving bowl add cooked pasta and 1 cup carrot sauce. Toss to coat. TIP: if sauce is too thick thin using reserved pasta water. If not thick enough add additional sauce.
- Garnish with Parmigiano shavings, fresh thyme and crispy bacon if desired.