Pot Roast with Balsamic Mushroom Gravy.
This isn’t your grandma’s pot roast. Oh no. This one is bigger, badder and bolder in the flavor department. It’s tender, melt in your mouth beef that’s made even better by the balsamic mushroom sauce that you’ll want to just spoon into your mouth (yes I did that). If that doesn’t make you want to make this tonight how about I sweeten the pot. It’s made in ONE POT. Y’all know how excited I get about those kinds of things. This roast is a low and slow stunner that you’ll be gravitating to all fall and winter long.
You’ve got about 15 minutes of prep time and then you’re going to put that French Oven (or Dutch if that’s what you’re feelin’) into your oven and go about your merry day. I would say set it and forget it but your house is going to smell so amazing that you won’t be able to forget this is cooking.
Now you might be wondering where are the new potatoes Paula? They’re not here. We happen to be into mashed potatoes (garlic mashed potatoes with a whole lot of butter to be more specific). This mushroom gravy just begs for mashed potatoes. Begs. IF you however like new potatoes chuck them in when you add the carrots and mushrooms. Options.
Are you ready for a meat and potatoes kinda night?
Disclaimer: I am a recipe developer for The Mushroom Channel. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pound carrots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms - quartered
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Into a large French/Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt/pepper. Sear on all sides.
- Add onion and cook until softened. Add vinegar and reduce by half.
- Combine broth and Dijon and pour over beef. Add rosemary. Cover.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 3 hours OR until meat is tender.
- 30 minutes prior to finishing add carrots and mushrooms to French/Dutch oven. Season with salt/pepper.
- Remove beef, carrots and mushrooms. Transfer to serving dish.
- Place French/Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cornstarch and whisk to combine.
- Cook until mixture thickens and reduces to desired gravy consistency.
- Check for seasoning and add if necessary
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g