This is not your grandma’s chicken pot pie recipe. Mushroom Marsala Chicken Pot Pie adds a little oomph to a classic casserole and will be having everyone coming back for seconds.
Pot pie. It’s a funny name isn’t it? I suppose the initial portion of the recipe is made in a POT. It is a savory PIE. So if we’re going with logic it makes sense BUT the name still throws me. What can I say? I don’t let the name stop me from eating it though. Oh no. I love pot pie. Especially when it’s freezing outside and I need all the help I can to warm up.
I love making chicken pot pie after I’ve made a ROASTED CHICKEN. I typically will roast two at at a time. Why not, you’ve already got the oven on yeah? Then I get the added benefit of a take two meal. You know a meal made using leftovers. It’s a beautiful thing. It also works great with leftover turkey.
I’ve been using the same POT PIE recipe forever. I haven’t altered it much over the years except to use puff pastry in place of pie crust when I didn’t have one or the other on hand. Sometimes you just don’t want to mess with a good thing. Until you have an idea smack you on the forehead. That idea came in the form of baby bella mushrooms.
I put on a pot of HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK and began to pull together the ingredients to make this chicken pot pie recipe. While I was in the fridge rummaging for carrots, onion, celery, leftover chicken, etc. I saw a container of beautiful baby bella shrooms staring at me.
There’s chicken and MARSALA in the pot pie. What about US? We go together like sha-na-na-na-na-na , okay you get it. I halved those beauties, plopped them into the POT and let’s just say I’m probably not going to be making a pot pie without them from here on out.
Disclaimer: I am a recipe developer for The Mushroom Channel. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion - minced
- 1 medium potato- peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery - diced
- 3 carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 8 ounces baby portobella mushrooms - quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- 2-3 cups roasted chicken - diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen tiny peas
- 1 pie crust - thawed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a french oven over medium-high heat. Add: onion, potato, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms. Season with nutmeg and salt/pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes OR until vegetables are softened. Stirring as necessary.
- Add Marsala and deglaze pan. Add chicken. Sprinkle flour on top. Stir to coat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and peas and stir to combine. Check for seasoning. Adjust as necessary. Transfer mixture to one large oven proof dish or several smaller oven proof ramekins.
- Place pie crust across top of dish /dishes. Crimp edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes OR until crust is flaky and golden.
- Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cerise (Cherry Red)
- Get It Right GIRSPU303RED Spatula, 11", Red
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g