Chicken with Charred Lemon and Gnocchi
I’m not sure about y’all but we eat a lot of chicken. That means a girl has to have a plethora of chicken recipes in her culinary arsenal to keep the family’s taste buds from turning on her. Her meaning me. Hence, I’m always looking for new inspiration in the chicken department and am willing to try new recipes. Some are definitely better than others if you know what I mean. I get inspiration from ingredients at the market, from flipping through the magazines with all the pretty pictures that make me want to make every recipes in the pages, from restaurants. You name it. Inspiration can come from just about anywhere.
I came across a Charred Lemon Chicken Piccata recipe in the most recent Cooking Light magazine (hello inspiration). I knew I needed to make a VERSION of that chicken dish. I kinda of have an obsession with all things lemon (currently lemon creamed honey is rocking my world. Oh my gawsh. It has nothing to do with this recipe but you should getcha some and just dip the spoon right in). The charred lemons are luscious and really make this dish so don’t skip that step. Putting lemons with sugar and garlic might seem odd but just go with it. Even Mikey would love this.
Since the majority of my family doesn’t like capers those were definitely OUT. Last time one of the kids got a caper I heard about it for weeks. WEEKS. Not going there again. We also prefer chicken thighs (bone in, skin on – flavor baby flavor) and lots of SAUCE.
If you’re looking to cut the cooking time down on this recipe go with (pounded) chicken breasts vs thighs. It takes chicken thighs longer to cook through but I just happen to prefer the dark meat flavor. That said, if I didn’t have the time on my hands I wouldn’t hesitate to pound out some chicken breasts and rock on. It’s good to be flexible. Yeah?
Besides those charred lemons the sauce in this dish is finger licking good. The gnocchi are practically signing their praises as they soak up the goodness. All you’ll need to do is add a salad and/or vegetable and you’ve got yourself a pretty awesome weeknight meal. You can’t forget the bread, that sauce is just calling for it. Don’t let the sauce down.
TIP: Having HOMEMADE CHICKEN STOCK in the freezer is always a good thing when you make as many chicken dishes as we do. So save those bones and make yourself a batch. It’s a good thing.
- 1 lemon - thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 garlic cloves halved
- 4 chicken thighs (bone in skin on)
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - divided
- 1/2 shallot - minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1 package gnocchi
- Into a small bowl add: lemon slices, sugar and garlic. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Brown chicken on both sides. Transfer chicken to plate. Set aside.
- To skillet add remaining butter and lemon mixture. Cook for approximately 1 minutes OR until slices are charred. Turning as necessary. Remove lemon slices from skillet. Set aside.
- To skillet add: shallot, thyme and wine. Scrape skillet with spatula to loosen brown bits. Add chicken stock and flour. Whisk together to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to pan and cook until done.
- WHILE chicken is cooking, cook gnocchi according to package directions. Transfer cooked gnocchi to skillet and toss to coat.