Spicy Meatball Sliders with Quick Pickled Cabbage
I know you’re all familiar with meatball sliders. There’s a good reason for their popularity. They’re GOOD. Really good. I can’t even say the name without wanting one, and now (you guessed it) I want one! Zero willpower when it comes to foods that I love. It’s the reason I exercise. The only reason.
Because I like to eat. I’m not one of those people who LOVES to exercise. I wish I was but nope I dread it but I suck it up and do it. I may or may not even think about what I’m going to eat for lunch while I’m doing said exercise. Sad but true.
Whenever I’m making a batch of meatballs I hedge my bet and make extra. On most nights I can’t count on having any leftover from a regular batch because they’re meat-a-balls and everyone in da family loves them. Those extra meatballs (that I hide immediately, yes I have no shame) are placed into the fridge so I can have a meatball sandwich or slider the following day.
Now these aren’t just your regular run of the mill sandwich shop meatball sliders here. These sliders are dare I say sophisticated and is going to knock the football pants off all your friends and family.
They’re perfect for any upcoming parties you’ll be hosting to you know celebrate that pig skin game that people rave about. I on the other hand couldn’t even tell you whose playing in said games BUT I do serve up mean snacks and such. Which is let’s be honest what’s important right? Right.
It’s always about the food people. And okay the people with you, that’s important too. Food and people and the pigskin for some. Sigh.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by KitchenAid. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 1 small red cabbage – finely sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt/pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 15 mini pretzel slider rolls
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together: sausage, egg, milk and panko until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop out balls of sausage mixture onto a rimmed non-stick baking sheet. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Note: Heat slider rolls and tomato sauce while meatballs are cooking.
- While meatballs are cooking: Add red cabbage into a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together vinegar and sugar until combined. Season with salt/pepper.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined. Pour over cabbage. Set aside.
- When meatballs have finished cooking transfer them to tomato sauce pot. Turn to coat.
- To assemble: place one meatball onto bottom of slider roll (add extra sauce if desired), top with fork full of pickled cabbage and a fresh basil leaf. Place top of slider bun on.
- Continue until all sliders are assembled.
- Duralex 100010 Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO Good Grips Large Cookie Scoop
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.