This Cream Cheese Flan with Caramel Sauce post is sponsored by Safest Choice Eggs. I am an ambassador for Safest Choice Eggs and part of the Darling Dozen. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
I haven’t met too many people who don’t adore flan. It’s creamy dreamy and you might be surprised to know that it’s super simple to make. Now there is quite a bit of time involved but the majority of that time your oven and fridge are doing the heavy work for you.
Now that you know, there’s no reason not to try and make this at home. If you can stir, blend and pour you’ve got this. Trust me.
How to make Caramel Sauce .
Once you’ve pre-heated your oven you’ll start off by making a caramel sauce. Now this isn’t the time to go check your email, update your Twitter account or post a photo of said caramel sauce in process to your Instagram account. Nope you’ve got to stay put during this part, otherwise you could chance burning said caramel sauce and then you’d have to start all over.
Not to mention the hot mess of pan you’re going to have to deal with. Nobody has time for that so just stay put, yeah? We’re going to stir and cook until it becomes a beautiful golden amber color. Which makes me think of a deep dark tan that I’d love to be working on instead of shoveling snow, but I digress.
Then you’re going to carefully (this is hot caramel sauce after all) pour this into a flan pan if you have one (or you can substitute pie dishes) and do a little twist and turn until the caramel sauce coats the bottom and sides of your pan. Easy right. Now set it aside and pat yourself on the back.
Next we’re going to chuck the rest of the ingredients into your blender. Hard right? Blend. Until. Smooth. Then we’re going to strain the mixture into the prepared pan with the now hardened caramel sauce. All that’s left to do is make a water bath for this fantastically fabulous flan in progress we’ve got going.
Now it’s into the oven and now you can go check that email, do the laundry, share this post. Whatever floats your boat. You’ve got time.
Once the flan has baked to perfection you’re going to let it come to room temperature and put it in the fridge until it’s completely chilled. I know. I know. It’s probably best if you make this the night before you want to eat it that way you’re not torturing yourself sitting around waiting on it to cool. Or maybe it’s just me that does that.
It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
Cream Cheese Flan with Caramel Sauce
Cream Cheese Flan with Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Davidson's Safest Choice Eggs - room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Into a medium size sauce pan add sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar melts and turns a light golden color. Approximately minutes 10-15 minutes.
- Pour sugar into flan pan (or pie dish). Tilt dish to evenly coat bottom and sides of dish. Set aside.
- Into your blender add: eggs, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, salt, vanilla and cream cheese. Blend for approximately 2 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into pie dish with caramelized sugar.
- Place flan pan into a larger baking pan. Pour hot water into empty pan to create a water bath.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour OR until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer flan to a wire rack to cool. Transfer to refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Prior to serving, run a knife around edge of dish. Invert dish onto serving plate.
Anne @ Have a Cookie! says
My mother recently made flan using a similar recipe which included cream cheese. It was so creamy and rich, the best flan I’ve ever tasted!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
I’ve never made flan but this cream cheese version speaks to me!
Lana | Never Enough Thyme says
Okay, now that I’ve wiped the drool off my keyboard, I’m adding flan to my Recipe Bucket List. I don’t know why I’ve never made it myself!
Martha @ A Family Feast says
What a gorgeous dessert! And I love how easy it is to make!
Kim (Feed Me, Seymour) says
I’ve only ever had flan once, in Disney World. It was so creamy and, well, dreamy. So I definitely want to try this!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
I can’t believe that I’ve never had flan! I do love caramel though!
Heather // girlichef says
Flan is the most requested dessert in my house. I’ve never made it with cream cheese before, I bet it’s amazing!
kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox says
I love flan but have never made it myself. This one looks incredible and I have everything needed to make it right now!
This recipe is flawed as written. It makes enough custard for at least two large, deep dish pie plates or one large cake pan.
Barbara Dunn says
There’s no ingredients list and directions.
Hi Barbara- apologies for the glitch. The recipe card should be visible now. Thank you.