Dark Chocolate Coffee Ice Cream
Why yes it’s snowing outside (in our neck of the woods and probably in a lot of yours) and we’re making homemade ice cream. Dark Chocolate Coffee Ice Cream. It makes perfect sense yeah? At least in our heads. In all honesty we eat ice cream year round. No matter if I have to sit in front of the fire place to warm up or jump in a hot bath afterwards.
I’m nothing if not dedicated. I’m also dedicated to good chocolate and COFFEE so this ice cream pairing was bound to happen. I can’t believe I didn’t make it happen before now. What was I thinking? I’m glad I went ahead and rectified that.
Another good thing about it being so flipping cold outside is that you you place your ice cream base in your garage and it will be chilled and ready to go into your ice cream maker lickety split. Silver linings. I need to look for them wherever I can right now because I’m SO over winter.
I’m NOT a cold weather fan. At. All. Cold weather is right up there with mornings in my book. To say I’m looking forward to warmer weather and not having glow in the dark skin is an understatement.
So thank goodness for COFFEE and ICE CREAM yeah? Both of those are a staple in our house. There isn’t a morning I’m not at home that I don’t have coffee. I’m not going to say I’m a bear without it, just maybe a bear cub. So pass me my coffee and no one gets hurt. See totally cordial.
We’ve used Lavazza’s Perfetto ESPRESSO for this ice cream. “Made from 100% carefully selected Arabica beans, Perfetto is bold with lingering caramel notes. It is roasted a bit longer to produce a “perfect” and characteristically Italian dark flavor profile. The ideal choice for those who love the pure pleasure of espresso roasts.”
It’s bold chocolate with an undercurrent of that fabulous espresso that we know and love and yes it’s perfect ALL year long.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Lavazza. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons sugar - divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Lavazza perfetto espresso roast coffee
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Into your stand mixer bowl add: egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add: milk, cream, salt, coffee and remaining sugar. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil).
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add egg mixture to to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine's manufacturer's directions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.