Black Bean Turkey Tacos are a great alternative to traditional beef tacos. Our turkey tacos are leaner, full of hidden expected vegetables and we flavor it all with a plethora of spices, some traditional and some unexpected. Garnish the black bean turkey tacos with avocado slices, shredded cheese, cilantro and Mexican crema. We think you’ll love them as much as we do.
We’ve got a new taco for your Tuesday taco night taco night, or Thursday taco night but does anyone really prefer Thursdays to Tuesday taco nights? Tuesday just has a better ring to it yeah? Don’t let the turkey fool you, this turkey taco has got flavor for days.
You might also be surprised to hear that its also stuffed full of veggies. You heard right. We’ve snuck in shaved carrots, bell peppers, onions and more spices than you can shake a stick at. You don’t have to tell the kids if you don’t want to. They’ll be none the wiser.
While we love our beef (you won’t ever see me turn away a steak, ain’t gonna happen) we like the lean mean ground turkey for this taco. Not only are these a healthier taco they’re gluten free. We’re ticking all the boxes today aren’t we. Well not vegetarian but we can’t have everything now can we.
Get your sharpest chef knife ready and prepare to get your chop and grate on for this recipe, go ahead and count it as your arm workout for the day, I know I do. But after you finish all the prep work these tacos come together in about 15 minutes.
Grab yourself a MARGARITA (it is taco night after all) while we sweat the carrots, onions and peppers to begin with. You can use ANY color bell pepper you like. I had the misfortune of using green bell peppers this go round because I’m going to be straight with you and say that I couldn’t bring myself to pay $2 a PIECE for a colored pepper that they’re currently going for in my markets Wasn’t going to happen. Next time.
Now these crunchy creations are full of flavah as I mentioned. In addition to all the veg and black beans we’ve blended in chili powder, cumin and the secret ingredient ANISE but if you feel like you need a little extra something something you can garnish these babies with sour cream, cilantro, salsa and of course CHEESE. You can’t forget the cheese.
That’d be a crime. Maybe one day I can talk my Mom into giving me her homemade salsa recipe. To date she’s got it locked down tighter than Fort Knox, it’s not for lack of trying I can assure you.
LEFTOVERS? Turn them into:
TACO PASTA (toss re-heated taco meat with your favorite cooked pasta and thin it out with a little reserved pasta water)
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #Bellalimento
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground chili powder
- large pinch of salt
- 2 medium carrots- grated
- 1/2 large onion – minced
- 2 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 bell pepper – seeded and finely chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 anise pod OR 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 15.5 ounces black beans – rinsed and drained
- 1 box corn taco shells
- Into a large deep sided pan, add oil and heat over medium – high heat.
- WHILE oil is heading, sprinkle cumin, chili powder and salt onto turkey and set aside.
- To the oil add: carrot, onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook approximately 2-4 minutes until the mixture starts to soften.
- Add turkey meat and allow to sit for approximately 1-2 minutes without touching/stirring. When the turkey starts to brown, cook approximately 6-8 minutes breaking up the meat with a spatula until it is cooked through.
- Add tomato sauce, star anise pod and cook an additional 2-4 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Add beans, reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer.
- WHILE meat is simmering, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and cook taco shells according to package directions.
- When taco shells have cooked, discard anise pod and distribute the turkey mixture evenly between shells.
Suggested garnishes: shredded cheese, cilantro, mexican crema, sliced avocado.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
Lodge 12 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder.
Get It Right GIRSPU303RED Spatula, 11", Red
Kuhn Rikon 21601 Slim Safety Lidlifter + Can Opener and Lid Lifter, White
OXO Good Grips Box Grater