You can explore more about Lavazza by visiting www.SHOPLAVAZZA.com
Cake Recipe Adapted from Bon Appetit
Death By Chocolate Layer Cake
What You Will Need:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter - room temperature
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup coffee
- Chocolate Buttercream
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter two deep sided 8-inch cake pans. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric or stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture in 3 portions alternating with buttermilk in 2 portions, beating just until blended after each addition. Gradually add coffee, beat until smooth.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops removing any air bubbles. Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10-15 minutes.
- Run butter knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes. Invert cakes onto racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare Buttercream
- To assemble cake:
- Place a small layer of buttercream between cakes. To create a crumb coat, lightly frost as smoothly as possible a light layer of buttercream over entire cake. Transfer to refrigerator to set up for approximately 10 minutes.
- Finish frosting entire cake with remaining buttercream. Store cake covered with dome or carefully with plastic wrap in refrigerator.
- Bring cake to room temperature prior to slicing/serving.
Copyright Paula Jones with bellalimento
Martha @ A Family Feast says
What a cake! Coffee and chocolate are a match made in heaven!
Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes says
Oh my gosh I am drooling!! I also love to celebrate birthday for an entire week (or more) haha!
Lauren Kelly Nutrition says
Oh my word, this cake is OUTRAGEOUS! Just amazing!
Death by chocolate…that’s how I want to go, haha!
Beautiful photos as always and one gorgeous chocolate cake!
June @ How to Philosophize with Cake says
Wow that looks incredible! Definitely to die for 🙂 Love the use of coffee in the cake itself!
The Food Hunter says
What a wonderful birthday cake! I may need this for my birthday next year.
Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction says
Happy Belated Birthday! This cake looks delicious. It would be devoured in our house.
Hello. What type of coffee we are talking about here? we don’t have many variety where I live.
I am a firm believer that you can never have too much chocolate, this cake looks so good!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
I agree! Coffee and chocolate are amazing together and I don’t even like coffee. Put it in a dessert, though, and I’m all over it. 🙂
Meredith In Sock Monkey Slippers says
This is drop dead amazing and I want a slice now!
Marjory @ Dinner-Mom says
It’s the perfect name for a cake that would definitely put me in a heavenly chocolate coma!
heather | girlichef says
Oh yeah, coffee and chocolate are definitely bff’s – and this cake is definitely a thing of beauty! Hope you had (and keep having) an awesome birthday celebration. 🙂
A chocolate lover’s dream! This cake looks absolutely incredible!
Gorgeous photos! And that is definitely a death by chocolate cake!
Sarah Walker Caron (Sarah's Cucina Bella) says
First, happy belated birthday! I hope you had a wonderful celebration. And second, this cake looks amazing. I skipped a birthday cake this year for myself — but I would have loved this one. Mmm.
Tasha @thatssoyummy says
This cake is heaven!!!! Chocolate cake is my downfall