Death By Chocolate Layer Cake
What You Will Need:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter - room temperature
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup coffee
- Chocolate Buttercream
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously butter two deep sided 8-inch cake pans. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Using electric or stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture in 3 portions alternating with buttermilk in 2 portions, beating just until blended after each addition. Gradually add coffee, beat until smooth.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops removing any air bubbles. Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10-15 minutes.
- Run butter knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes. Invert cakes onto racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare Buttercream
- To assemble cake:
- Place a small layer of buttercream between cakes. To create a crumb coat, lightly frost as smoothly as possible a light layer of buttercream over entire cake. Transfer to refrigerator to set up for approximately 10 minutes.
- Finish frosting entire cake with remaining buttercream. Store cake covered with dome or carefully with plastic wrap in refrigerator.
- Bring cake to room temperature prior to slicing/serving.
Copyright Paula Jones with bellalimento