Bourbon BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger.
There is just something about a big FAT juicy (sorry I hate that word too, but if the shoe fits) cheeseburger that gets me going. Now that I’m all grown up I need a little more something something to my cheeseburgers though. Know what I’m sayin’? You can’t ever go wrong slapping on a few slices of perfectly cooked bacon so that’s a given.
You also need to give a little thought to the bun. No plain jane sesame seed buns for me. No sir ree. I’m a brioche or pretzel bun every single timer. If I’m going to indulge in carbs, I’m going all the way.
And you can’t have a cheeseburger without the CHEESE. Wisconsin cheese is where all the cheesy goodness is. I am a cheese head through and through. Thank goodness I’m not lactose intolerant I would literally cry. Roll up in the fetal position and cry. I eat cheese erry single day. It is indeed one of life greatest pleasures. In my little bitty opinion. And for a melty good time I lean towards HAVARTI. Which I also can not say without a pretentious accent. Havarti darling, pass me the havarti.
Also pass me the bourbon. The Bourbon bar-b-que sauce is finger licking good. You’re going to want to slather this on all the things. It takes regular bar-b-que sauce to the bar for a very good time. Your burger will thank you for this.
All of that combined: Pretzel bun, Wisconsin Havarti Cheese, Grade A Beef, Crispy Bacon and a Bourbon Bar-B-Que sauce that will have you questioning why you ever gravitated to normal bar-b-que sauce make for one heck of a good burger. You might want to grab extra napkins, just a thought.
For our favorite tailgating tips head over to The Cheese & Burger Society’s website for the BOURBON BBQ BENCHWARMER BURGER.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Wisconsin Cheese. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own.
- 1cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- For Cheeseburgers:
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, halved
- 2 pounds ground beef, divided into 4 equal patties
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4-thick slices Wisconsin Havarti cheese
- For Assembly:
- 4 pretzel buns, split and toasted
- Caramelized onions or store-bought crispy onions, optional
- For BBQ Sauce: Place all ingredients in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to simmer and cook 8-10 minutes, until thickened. Remove and let cool. (Sauce can be made in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- For Burgers: Fry bacon until crispy in large skillet. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
- Heat grill over medium-high heat. Season beef patties with salt and pepper. Place grill pan on grill and add burgers.
- Cook until desired doneness, between 3 and 5 minutes per side.
- Top each burger with a cheese slice during last minutes of cooking so cheese melts.
- To Assemble: Place cheeseburger on each toasted pretzel bun bottom.
- Top with two bacon pieces and generous amount of bourbon BBQ sauce.
- Finish with caramelized or crispy onions if desired.
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- Get It Right GIRSPU303RED Spatula, 11", Red
- Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet Pan for Stovetop of Oven Use
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.