Mushroom and Bacon Tart.
Are you ready to dive into this deliciousness? I am. I’m ridiculously excited about sharing this recipe. For many many reasons. The first is because is it by one of my best-est friends on the planet. Meredith. Not only that, it’s from her cookbook. Her COOKBOOK. I’m so proud of her and really do believe in this cookbook. Meredith knows FOOD. She’s so incredibly talented at putting foods together in ways that you might not even think of.
Her flavor combinations and creativity continually blow my mind. Besides knowing food she’s just an awesome
person Texan. To this day she remains the best airport pickup I’ve ever had. A giant sombrero and a cooler full of margaritas (not for her she was driving) to welcome us to the Lone Star state. Meredith is all about entertaining and so is her cookbook.
I happen to have flown to Texas earlier this year for a week to lend a hand to Meredith. Yes, she not only wrote the book she photographed it too. She’s brilliant I tell you. I can proudly add hand model to my resume now as my red tipped fingers landed themselves in the cookbook. The week I was there we were shooting WINTER.
The menu we shot was Wine and Dine and Winter Harvest. This tart recipe comes from the Winter Harvest dinner party. Meredith uses pancetta in her Mushroom Tart. I sadly didn’t have any pancetta the day I was making this so I substituted bacon.
Mushroom and Bacon Tart.
It starts by sauteeing mushrooms in the bacon grease (how can this not be good) and then deglazing the pan with red wine. It’s baked on airy puff pastry with a blanket of cheese and then topped with dressed microgreens. It’s a great way to start any dinner party, or to eat because honestly when you taste this you’ll have a hard time not eating the entire thing.
I can’t recommend Meredith’s BOOK enough. You can find it on Amazon and in most national book retailers. If you’re not already following her BLOG, Steele House Kitchen, you should be. Go find her on social and say hey as well. She’s Texan so she’s friendly.
Slightly Adapted from Meredith Steele’s Effortless Entertaining Cookbook
- 4 ounces bacon - thickly cut
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms - stems removed and diced
- 1 shallot - minced
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup Malbec
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary - minced
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup fontina cheese - shredded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup microgreens
- Place bacon in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook until golden and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add: mushrooms, shallot and garlic. Saute until mushrooms are cooked and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring frequently until there isn't any liquid left in pan.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Add bacon and rosemary to mushrooms, taste and season with alt and pepper if desired.
- Place puff pastry onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a baking mat.
- With a knife, lightly score a 1" wide border around outside of tart.
- Evenly sprinkle cheese inside of border and top with mushroom mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is puffy and golden.
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
- Effortless Entertaining Cookbook: 80 Recipes That Will Impress Your Guests Without Stress
- Lodge 10.25 Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet Pan for Stovetop of Oven Use
- Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
- Microplane Zester Grater made in USA stainless steel blade for zesting citrus and grating cheese - plastic handle - black
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.