Baked Brie with Cranberries.
It’s a simple and delicious appetizer that’s perfect for the holiday season. This dish has just a few simple ingredients. We’re using frozen cranberries so you can enjoy this appetizer all year long. We’re also sharing tips on food safety. Food safety is important when preparing any dish. There are a few simple things we can all do every time. There are FOUR core rules of food safety that are really easy to remember. Clean: Wash hands and surfaces often. Separate: Don’t cross-contaminate. Cook: Cook to the safe internal temperature. Chill: Refrigerate or freeze promptly. Those are really easy to remember right? You can find even more information about food safety on the Partnership for Food Safety Education website.
While you’re visiting their website, there are so many free resources to check out, but if you have children you can print out place-mats for your kids to learn about hand washing and vegetable safety. They have cute quizzes and bonus points, it’s great for coloring too. When you make things fun, they’re more apt to remember. Starting them early also helps to instill good habits.
We’ve added additional food safety tips specific for this Baked Brie with Cranberries recipe in the recipe section. You can learn more about simple actions you can take to reduce the risk of food borne illness at The Story of Your Dinner webpage
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by the Partnership for Food Safety Education. I was compensated for my time. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
What You Will Need:
- 8 ounces brie, made from pasteurized milk
- 12 ounces frozen cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel (approximately 1” x 3”)
- ¼ cup water
- kosher salt/pepper
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped - optional
What To Do:
- Start by washing your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food. Wash your cutting boards and counter tops with hot soapy water.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Peel the top of the rind off of the brie. Discard. Place brie into desired oven-proof serving dish. Hollow out a small, ¼-cup-sized hole in the top of the cheese. Set aside.
- Rub the whole lemon under running tap water and dry with a clean cloth towel or paper towel before cutting the peel for the recipe.
- Into a sauté pan add: cranberries, sugar, lemon peel and water. Cook over low heat for approximately 10 minutes until sugar is dissolved and cranberries have softened. Stir as necessary.
- Increase heat to medium and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes OR until cranberries burst. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard lemon peel.
- Place ¼ cup of prepared cranberry sauce into hollowed portion of brie and pour the rest of the sauce over the brie.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until cranberries are bubbling and cheese is beginning to lose shape and soften.
- Top with optional nuts if desired.
This brie looks so good! Perfect for a Christmas Dinner appetizer!