White Wine Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Bacon.
The saying that bacon makes everything better is really true for me. I will put bacon on all the things and not feel bad about it. I only feel bad when I don’t have bacon to put on all the things. I also have to always cook twice as much as I need, because snacking on bacon is mandatory. It just seems to disappear right before my eyes.
Bacon is not only a crunchy blissful garnish in this recipe it’s how we’ll crisp the chicken skin before popping it into the oven for braising. Yes, we’ll brown the chicken in the bacon grease. Not only does it cut back on dishes (y’all know how I feel about those), it adds a helluva lot of flavor to the chicken.
Flavor is the name of the game. It’s also why I like bone in chicken thighs. Flavor. Once the chicken is nice and brown we’ll take out all but a smidge of the grease and add the wine, some seasoning and into the oven it goes.
While it’s cooking, the mushrooms get some attention and it’s time to think about the sides as well. Because this chicken makes a nice pan sauce I like to go with potatoes. Risotto would also be amazing.
Those adorable multi colored new potatoes actually came in a steamer bag (hello shortcut) and were ready after a few short minutes in the microwave. No peeling and no extra cooking dish. Winning. I slathered mine in the pan sauce and crispy bacon pieces. It was a good thing. I am, however, now craving risotto. Maybe we’ll work on a new risotto recipe. If you have any requests, I’m all ears.
The skin stays nice and crispy because we only add enough liquid (wine) to go half way up the chicken. It’s nice and juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside skin. Just like it’s supposed to be.
Once it comes out of the oven, it’s finished off with the mushrooms and crispy bacon. You can add a little extra fresh time to garnish if you’re feeling fancy. Most times I’m just feeling like digging in but whatever works.
- 6 pieces thick cut bacon
- 4-6 bone in chicken thighs - skin on
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 - 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms - sliced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Into a large non-stick skillet cook bacon until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside. Crumble bacon once it's cool enough to work with.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place skin side down into bacon grease and cook until skin is browned and crispy. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken. Add wine and thyme. Transfer to oven and cook approximately 25 minutes OR until done (look for 165 degrees internal temperature).
- WHILE the chicken is cooking, melt butter into a small saute pan. Add mushrooms and cook until done. Stirring as necessary.
- Transfer mushrooms to chicken skillet prior to serving. Check sauce for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and additional fresh thyme (optional).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g