Spaghetti. With. Vodka. Sauce. Who’s in?
There is just something about pasta that I LOVE. I’m partial to long pastas (but I wouldn’t turn down the short ones, just sayin’). I think it’s the twirl factor. I’m a twirler. That whole motion of spinning the pasta around the tines of a fork is therapeutic and oh so satisfying. There’s a technique involved that I’ve developed over the years. If there was a twirling and nesting pasta contest, I’d throw my fork into the proverbial ring. I’ve had a lot of practice over the years so I’m confident in my twirling abilities. My fluff can back that up. LOL.
This is an iconic sauce. Chances are you’ve had it or at the very least have heard of it. It’s obviously made with VODKA. An entire cup of vodka. Don’t worry about trying to be shy here. It’s VODKA sauce after all. There’s about an hour involved in making the sauce so plan accordingly. It’s so good you might want to eat it like a soup (do your thing frands). You can serve it over any pasta of your choice, I just happen to like spaghetti (back to that whole long pasta preference).
I made this sauce with my Mom’s canned garden tomatoes. It makes it a little extra special for me. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when I’m down to my last jar, don’t think I can bring myself to ever open the very last one. Okay, obviously I’ll switch over to canned tomatoes, Tutto Rosso are my favorite canned tomatoes. They remind me of my Momma’s tomatoes and that’s a very good thing in my book.
Once your sauce is simmered you can puree it using an immersion blender if you’re like me and have an aversion to dishes. Otherwise you can transfer it to your blender and puree it that way. Like a little more texture? Pulse until it’s at your desired consistency.
Whatever way you enjoy your sauce consistency, don’t forget the grated Parmigiano (the real stuff) and some nice crusty bread. Because let’s be real, you’re already having carbs what’s another carb or two right? I’m here for ya.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion - minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic - minced
- 32 ounces tomatoes - crushed
- kosher salt/pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmigiano Reggiano - grated
- Into a dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, saute until softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Stirring as necessary.
- Add vodka and cream. Continue simmering for approximately 30 minutes. Check for seasoning. Adjust as necessary.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain.
- Toss drained spaghetti with desired amount of sauce. If necessary add pasta water to thin.
- Garnish with grated cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g