Southern Pimento Cheese.
I am as Southern as cheese grits so I most definitely enjoy a good heaping helping of pimento cheese. You may have heard this Southern delicacy also referred to as: Southern Pate or Carolina Caviar. Whatever you call it, I’m eating it. I’m not talking about the kind you find at the store in a tub with a bunch of stickers on the outside. Nope. Pimento cheese is best homemade. It’s easier than you may think. You only need 4 ingredients plus seasonings. I like a little spice so that always includes a couple shakes of hot sauce. Yes, a couple of shakes is a measurement. If you’re more formal you can say “to taste”.
What do we do with pimento cheese? Well loverlies besides spreading it onto a Ritz cracker. Yes a Ritz cracker. You can make a mean cheese ball. One of the best grilled cheeses you’ve ever had or even turn it into a pimento mac n cheese that will change the way you think about macaroni and cheese while sententiously rocking your world. It’s a bold statement I realize but once you’ve had it you’ll understand.
I’ll be making that next week so stay tuned for the PIMENTO MAC N CHEESE RECIPE. It will most definitely be making an appearance because I think everyone should get on the pimento pony.
A few TIPS for making your pimento cheese a success:
– Make sure you drain the pimentos from the jar. You don’t want excess liquid. No one wants runny pimento cheese.
– Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. It makes mixing a lot easier.
– Season to taste. Salt/Pepper and Hot Sauce. Don’t like it spicy? Leave it out.
– After refrigeration and before serving, allow the pimento cheese to come to room temperature. It’s more easily spreadable.
You can use a mixer if you like but you can easily mix this together using arm power.
Now that we’ve told you what we like to do with our Pimento Cheese, do you have any other ways you like to serve it?
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos
- kosher salt/black pepper
- hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Mix until creamy and well combined.
- Store in a air tight container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g