If you’ve always loved Indian food but were too afraid to try making it at home you’ll love this Easy Indian Butter Chicken recipe! It’s ready in just 30 minutes and uses ONE pot. Add jasmine rice and naan bread for a complete meal!
I absolutely love Indian food but to be completely honest I never really would make it at home, instead I would enjoy it out at restaurants. Until this year that is. I decided it was time I enjoyed it in my pajamas while binging Netflix if I wanted. I’m so happy that I did because I’m obsessed with this Easy Indian Butter Chicken and I make it on the regular. Occasionally I eat it in regular clothes at the table as well.
When I say easy I mean it. It takes just thirty minutes to pull together and only uses ONE pot. Y’all know how much I despise doing dishes so this is always a huge selling point when deciding on a recipe for me.
Why is it called butter chicken ?
It’s called butter chicken because it’s prepared in a makhani (butter) gravy. Made up of butter and cream. How can that not be good, amiright?
Butter chicken or murgh makhani originates from India. It’s chicken in a mildly spiced curry sauce. If you’re feeling your spice, go ahead and add a little more cayenne.
Is butter chicken and chicken tikka masala the same?
Glad you asked. There’s not a lot of difference between both. The difference lies in the way they are cooked and in the ingredients used. Obviously butter chicken uses more butter whereas Tikka Masala has more spices.
What is Garam Masala?
Garam Masala is a spice mixture used in Indian cooking. Nowadays you can find the mixture readily available in most grocers.
Serve the Butter Chicken over rice with a side of Naan bread (because that sauce craves it) and go ahead and let it rain cilantro on the chicken because CILANTRO IS LIFE. Not really, but I’m #teamcilantro and it sounded good
Recipe slightly adapted from Averie Cooks
- 1 stick unsalted butter - divided
- 1/2 large onion - minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- cilantro to garnish
- To a medium French oven add 1/2 stick butter and onion.Sauté over medium-high heat until softened.
- Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, or until done. Stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add: garam masala, cumin, turmeric, ginger, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
- Add remaining 1/2 stick butter and heat until it has melted; stir frequently to encourage melting.
- Add cream and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes OR until sauce has thickened and reduced slightly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
- Zojirushi NS-YAC10 Umami Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer, Pearl White, 5.5 Cup Capacity
- Heat Insulated Double Walled 17 OZ Copper Stainless Steel Multipurpose Bowls for Cereal, Rice, Noodles, Ice Cream, Salad, Cooked Food, 4 Pieces per Pack, Handmade Hammered Style Serving Bowl, 6 Inch
- Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cerise (Cherry Red)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.