Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes, Spinach and Goat Cheese. All the noms, none of the guilt.
I forgot how much I really do enjoy spaghetti squash. Maybe it’s the motion of raking the roasted squash into strands with a fork. Hence the name spaghetti squash. Maybe it’s that it’s just really delicious. Either way, this has been on repeat for a minute around here. It also couldn’t be easier to make.
How To Cut A Spaghetti Squash:
A spaghetti squash has a really tough exterior which can make it difficult to cut. I’ve found that the easiest way for me to cut the squash in half is to CAREFULLY cut slits in the squash vertically around the entire squash. Place squash onto a microwave safe plate/dish and transfer to the microwave to cook for approximately 5 minutes.
Once the squash has cooled enough to handle, CAREFULLY cut the squash in half vertically.
Once seasoned and sprinkled in beautiful olive oil, into the oven the squash goes to roast until it’s fork tender. Roast times will depend on how large of a squash you are using.
WHILE the squash is roasting you can prepare the TOMATO SAUCE. It’s our basic tomato sauce recipe that we use for SO many recipes. We’re going to make this a creamy sauce (without cream) with the addition of goat cheese right at the end of the cooking process. There is also sauteed spinach in this beautiful squash boat. Which takes just a few minutes to saute.
This whole dish comes together in about 45 minutes. Most of which is the squash roasting.
You could easily have the sauce and spinach prepped ahead of time. If you’re feeling cheesy you could also top with shredded mozzarella and pop it into the oven until melted.
Serve this as a squash boat (you know we love less dishes so this works for me), or in a traditional bowl. Options are a good thing.
PS Y’all … It really makes our day when you make our recipes. IF you do, please SHARE & TAG us on Instagram #bellalimento
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 tablespoons olive oil - divided
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons plain goat cheese
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully cut squash in half vertically. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash onto rimmed baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or the like.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with enough olive oil to lightly coat. Making sure it's coated on both sides.
- Turn squash halves so that cut sides are facing down.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes OR until fork tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- WHILE squash is roasting prepare tomato sauce.
- When sauce is finished stir in goat cheese.
- Into a skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add spinach. Season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted.
- To assemble: Rake squash halves with fork to create "spaghetti" strands.
- Equally divide spinach between halves.
- Top with sauce.
- Gar;nish with parsley if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.