I know, I know, you’re thinking, “Is she insane?” She’s going to set the house on fire! Trust me, the first time I saw my Mom making this dish I asked her the exact same question. All I can say is that when I tasted this I said “WOW” & went back for seconds. It’s a fun dish to make, especially if you’re having company over. You get the same reaction every time!
It’s quick, it’s easy, & it’s good for you! Using the paper bag keeps the moisture in the asparagus & allows the garlic, lemon slices, olive oil, & bay leaves to perfectly season the asparagus. Coating your paper bag generously (covering all areas) with canola oil keeps the fire marshal away!
You have to use canola oil on the outside other oils will smoke and you don’t want that!
Thanks Mom for trying something a little out of the ordinary and coming up with an extraordinary way to make asparagus! Stock up on paper bags at the grocery store, you’re going to want to make this often!
- 1 large brown paper bag from the grocery store
- 2 bundles of fresh asparagus
- 1/2 lemon sliced
- 4 fresh garlic cloves minced (use more if you like)
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt/pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Take your asparagus and trim the ends.
- Place asparagus in a bowl. Add minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle enough olive oil over the asparagus to lightly coat. Toss.
- Place seasoned asparagus at the bottom of the paper bag.
- Place lemon slices and bay leaves on top of asparagus.
- Fold paper bag over and place onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour a little canola oil over the bag and rub in until it's completely coated. Make sure the bag is completely coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To open: CAREFULLY cut the bag open with scissors and transfer asparagus to serving dish.
TIP: When trimming asparagus, hold one asparagus between your fingers and bend it, where it breaks naturally is where you trim it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.