In the week after Christmas but before the New Year, I’m a little cooked out. I have to admit, making elaborate meals just isn’t on my radar. I do however need to eat and want something quick and delicious. My go to? PANINI!
They’re perfect for lunch and if you add a salad (gah did I just mention salad in two posts back to back, feel my head quick ; 0 ) or a hearty bowl of SOUP and you’re all set.
Panini can be filled with just about anything your heart desires. The key to me is the bread, it needs to be crusty on the outside yet soft on the inside. A panini press is also a big help but isn’t a deal breaker if you don’t have one. An old school cast iron pan works wonders.
I whipped up this delicious caramelized onion, sauteed baby bella, swiss panino pictured above for The Mushroom Channel. I can honestly say I’ve made this for the past three days in a row and am not tired of it yet!
Photo Credit: Angie, Eclectic Recipes
To keep you panini happy also check out this Portabello Mushroom and Basil pesto Panini pictured above from Angie of Eclectic Recipes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion – thinly sliced
- kosher salt/ black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted herb butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms – sliced
- 4 slices Pan Bigio – sliced thick on the bias
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes – halved, optional
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil into a sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions. Season with salt/pepper. Cook until onions are softened. Add sugar, continue cooking, stirring as necessary until onions have caramelized (approximately 30 minutes). Set aside.
- Into a small sauté pan add: 2 tablespoons herb butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms. Season with salt/pepper. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat Panini press to 350 degrees.
- Equally distribute mushrooms between two slices of bread. Equally top with mushrooms with caramelized onions. Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread. (NOTE: if using tomatoes place them on at this time)
- Place corresponding slices of bread on top. Lightly brush tops of bread with room temperature herb butter.
- Place sandwiches onto hot panini press. Cook for approximately 4-5 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese has melted.
If you do not have a panini grill, use a non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Place sandwich onto hot pan. Using a heavy pan (such as a cast iron pan), weigh sandwich down. Cook as directed above.
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- Le Creuset of America Toughened NonStick Saucepan with Lid, 4 quart
- Hamilton Beach 25460A Panini Press Sandwich Maker Medium Stainless Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g