Vanilla Caramel Budino is a rich, creamy and decadent dessert. Budino is the Italian word for custard or pudding
I’m not going to lie. This is the best pudding I’ve ever eaten in my life. I know you’re thinking Paula it’s just pudding. Oh no no no no no no no no, did you see me waving my finger and shaking my head ’cause I was. It’s Vanilla Caramel BUDINO. Okay still pudding but much sexier in Italian. So good, my eyes rolled back into my head when I tasted this.
BACKSTORY – Let me back up a bit. Sus and I took a little trip to Beverly Hills a few weekends back. We holed up at the posh Beverly Wilshire , you know the one where they filmed THE Pretty Woman, and had planned on eating as much ridiculously good food as possible.
SCARPETTA RESTAURANT – BEVERLY HILLS
When I found out that Scott Conant had a restaurant there (SCARPETTA) we knew we HAD to go. You may know him as the judge from Chopped that HATES red onions. Don’t you dare try to feed that man red onions. LOL. I also hear he has a thing for Reese’s Pieces. But that’s another story. My intention going in was to try his pasta. I hear he’s pretty magical at making pasta. I won’t keep you in suspense, he puts his money where his mouth is. It was MAGICAL.
Earlier that day we had already inhaled a pizza bigger than we are plus a cake from Duff’s Cake Mix so yeah we were already stuffed. Going in we were thinking JUST a plate of pasta and maybe a glass of wine. The restaurant had other plans for us. Nicole the sweet General Manager came out to greet us and welcome us to the restaurant. When we saw the tasting menu we knew we HAD to do it.
We chose the 4 course. The chef had other plans. I’m thinking they were just happy to see girls eating in Beverly Hills. Apparently that doesn’t happen often. All told we had 8 courses. It was one amazing dish after another. If you follow me on INSTAGRAM you saw it all. I’ll be making the truffle pasta we had SOON. Chef Freddy Vargas came out, twice no less, and shaved an obscene amount of truffles on our pasta. I like a man who’s heavy handed with truffles don’t you?
Until I can get my hands, ehem save up for a truffle, the other dish that I KNEW I had to make was the vanilla caramel BUDINO.
WHAT IS BUDINO?
Budino is a rich and creamy dessert, like a custard or pudding. Budino is the Italian word for custard or pudding.
OTHER DESSERTS YOU MAY LOVE:
If you’re feeling inspired by this VANILLA CARAMEL BUDINO, chances are you’ll enjoy these other dessert recipes
- 8 egg yolks
- 9 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks unsalted Kerrygold butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- crumbled biscotti to garnish
- In a mixing bowl combine: egg yolks, cornstarch, first measurements of heavy cream, milk and salt.
- In a heavy bottom pot bring brown sugar, remaining cream, milk and vanilla to a boil.
- In a separate pot, cook granulated sugar until it is a deep amber and caramel color. SLOWLY add hot cream mixture to cooked sugar. Stir until combined.
- Carefully ladle hot caramel cream into egg mixture. Mix until half the hot liquid is incorporated.
- Slowly add tempered egg mixture back into hot cream on the stove. Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat add butter. Mix on low until custard has cooled to room temperature.
- Pour into serving containers. Cover with plastic wrap. Make sure plastic is touching custard so that a skin does not form. Transfer to refrigerator. Chill for 6-8 hours OR until set.
- Garnish with crumbled biscotti.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We would love to see them!