This recipe is intended for those of legal drinking age.
How to Make Homemade Kahlua.
Coffee. I have to have it. Plain and simple. It’s not pretty when I don’t. I love it in the morning, rubbed onto my steaks, ask a facial scrub (yep) and even in cocktails. You know that coffee liqueur that starts with a K and ends with lua yep this is a pretty awesome knock off if I say so myself.
Until recently, I didn’t realize you could make so many of my favorite adult libations at home but you CAN and should. Besides tasting amazing it will save you a bundle. Now you can get those shoes you’ve been eyeing. You’re welcome.
Now unlike the HOMEMADE AMARETTO that you can enjoy straight away (and should absolutely make stat), this coffee liqueur needs to AGE. So get it to quickly so you can be enjoying it sooner rather than later. It’s as simple as making up a simple syrup and then adding a few more ingredients – which if you drink coffee I’m betting you have on hand.
You’ll want to grind your coffee beans FINE. I used an espresso roast. No surprise there. Also be sure you COOL the mixture completely before boozing it up. Otherwise the heat will cook off some of the alcohol and mute the vanilla flavor and what would be the purpose of making your own booze if it’s not BOOZY. Exactly.
This recipe is intended for those of legal drinking age. Please drink responsibly.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely ground espresso beans
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups vodka
- Add water to a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Add sugar, continue to cook until sugar has dissolved. Reduce heat to low, add coffee grinds. Mix together. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add vanilla extract and vodka. Stir to combine.
- Place into a seal able container and into the fridge to age for 30 days.
- Before serving, strain mixture through a cheesecloth and pour into bottles of choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.