If you’ve ever been out on the town with me (when I’m not drinking whiskey or wine) you know I like Amaretto. Typically it’s a double on the rocks. My brand of choice is DiSaronno. I like the taste and how I can feverishly spin the bottle top around before serving. Don’t judge. What I don’t like, the price. It’s spendy. Around $25 bucks for the “regular” sized bottle.
I can’t tell you how many bottles I have purchased. Too many. No more. Why? I found out I can make a pretty dang near copy cat version at home for a fraction of the price. Yes homemade Amaretto baby. Go ahead and grab a glass you’re going to want some of this.
After consulting with the experts, aka google I surmised that the recipe is a combination of sugars, extracts and vodka. That’s it. You probably have everything you need to make this in your pantry. Want to know what else? You can drink it immediately when you’re done.
Unlike my beloved LIMONCELLO that you have to patiently wait weeks for it to be done, this one is immediate gratification. Can this get any better? I think not.
We tested a few combinations of sugars and extract measurements and this is the one that we liked best. It makes about 3 1/2 cups of Amaretto. Before you ask, I’m not sure how long this will last. It doesn’t stick around long in my house. What I do know is that everyday it stays in that bottle it just gets smoother and smoother. Can you hear Rob Thomas?
To bottle the beauties I picked up some glass bottles with clamp stoppers along with those adorable chalkboard labels. I couldn’t decide what I wanted to write on my bottles yet. Probably Hands Off ; )
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure almond extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Vodka
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add: water, sugars and bring to a boil.
- Cook until sugars are well dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes.
- To pan add: extracts and vodka. Mix to combine.
- Pour Amaretto into desired jars and cap. Store in a cool/dry location.
- Bormioli Rocco Fiaschetta Glass 8.5 Ounce Pocket Flask, Set of 2
- Norpro Stainless Steel Funnels, Set of 3
- ONUPGO Chalkboard Labels - 90 Premium Reusable Chalkboard Stickers with 3MM White Chalk Marker for Labeling Mason Jars, Parties, Craft Rooms, Weddings and Organize Your Home & Kitchen
- OXO 11132100 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons with Magnetic Snaps
- OXO 11132000 Good Grips Stainless Steel Measuring Cups with Magnetic Snaps
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.