Zeppole with Whiskey Caramel Sauce
If you’re on a diet, click away, OR just plan on getting on the treadmill for a little longer. Fried dough (aka doughnuts, donuts, fried dough, just gimme). There’s something completely irresistible about it. Doughnuts are my weakness. Especially warm right out of the fryer. Swoon. I feel better about eating these small little doughnut holes, somehow it seems like I’m consuming less calories (even if I do eat 2 dozen by myself). I also have a unicorn that lives in my backyard and leaves me presents. Are you jealous LOL?
Seriously though, it’s about balance. When I do decide to make doughnuts I try to balance it out. Yogurt for breakfast maybe a little fruit and granola, and then doughnuts for dinner. If you’re going to go through the effort of making homemade doughnuts then you might as well make the WHISKEY CARAMEL SAUCE (aka Drunken Caramel Sauce) to go with. You’ll thank me. Your thighs won’t but you will.
Now who’s ready to dip? I have one ready for you …
Disclaimer: I have an ongoing relationship with Dixie Crystals. Opinions are my own. Always have been. Always will be.
- In a small mixing bowl, add yeast into the milk, gently stir and set aside.
- Into your mixing bowl add: flour, sugar, 1 whole egg + 1 additional egg yolk, lemon zest, pinch of salt. Add milk mixture. Mix with your paddle attachment until it forms into a ball. Switch to the dough hook attachment and knead for 8-10 minutes until dough is soft and supple.
- Add butter and continuing kneading for additional 4-5 minutes. Cover bowl with a kitchen towel and allow to rise until it doubles in size.
- Once dough has doubled, knead it again for approx 4-5 minutes. Pinch off 1" sections of dough and roll into balls using your hands. Allow zeppole to rest and rise for approximately 10 minutes.
- WHILE zepppole are resting, place oil in a large deep sided pot and heat to 350 degrees. Place a few dough balls into oil (do not crowd the pan) Cook just enough to allow them to puff up and turn golden. This will take about a minute. Turn them with spoons. Transfer to paper towels to absorb oil and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Continue until all are cooked.
- Dip in Whiskey Caramel Sauce if desired