Caramelized Grilled Asparagus
Have you noticed a grilling theme going on? Gold star for you if so. As soon as it warms up I’m all about throwing anything and just about everything on the grill. Including vegetables. Sometimes I even get a little crazy and sprinkle them with sugar. Glorious I tell you. Glorious caramelized crunchy outsides. Pass the plate please.
Once you have your grilled fired up and have cooked your main dish, toss your asparagus in a little liquid gold (that’s extra virgin olive oil for those of you who might be new around the blog) and give it a sprinkle of the sweet seasoning mix. Make sure you use kosher salt. No table salt please. We shun that. Grab your grill basket and place the seasoned stalks inside. Now here’s the important part. Don’t walk away. Otherwise you might end up with more caramelization that you bargained for. Give it a little shake and about 5 minutes later (depending on the thickness of your asparagus) you should be good to go.
This is an amazing side dish that can go with an old regular week night dinner or can turn heads at a holiday dinner. It’s the little black dress of sides.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt/pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1 bundle fresh asparagus - ends trimmed
- Preheat grill.
- Into a small bowl add: olive oil, salt/pepper, and sugar. Whisk together to combine.
- Coat asparagus in olive mixture. Transfer to a grilling basket.
- Place on grill over indirect heat. Grill for approximately 5 minutes or until asparagus is slightly tender and sugar has caramelized.